Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I got an old gateway desktop I am trying to get working. It…

Customer Question
I got an old gateway...
I got an old gateway desktop I am trying to get working. It powers on and the cd drives work. When the gateway screen appears after that I am getting a line up in the corner blinking? I put a brand new hard drive in and I got a brand new cd drive installed externally and it notices it in the bios. What could be wrong? I am trying to install windows 10 on it and have the cd for windows in it.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Software
9/26/2017
Software technician: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

It sounds like the computer is not booting from the CD as you want it to.

Have you set the CD-ROM to be first in the boot order in the BIOS?

I tried the old and the new cd drives through boot priority through the bios.

Have you tried the Windows 10 CD on another computer to see if it boots?

I use the windows 10 dvd on my liquid cooled and other laptops it works. This gateway is old Ricky has serial cables the wide old ones just so you know.

Does it have the necessary system requirements to support Windows 10?

but like you said it seems as if its not noticing the disc? The dvd drives don't even read right away like you would expect. Cannot be my new disc drive its brand new.

Does the old Gateway have usb ports?

It has 6 of them I believe.

Okay, two things I would recommend trying next:

First, try to temporarily disconnect your Hard Drive and see if the CD will boot.

Second, if that does not work, make a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive and try to install using that.

My friend tried a flash drive didn't work RIcky nothing came up

Did you try disconnecting the hard drive?

Yeah I tried disconnecting it now and still a flashing line at the top left corner.

Interesting. I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas on this one. I will go ahead and open your question up to another expert who may be able to better assist you. Thank you for your patience.

Ok when will the next expert contact me?
Software technician: hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist

Hi on the motherboard will be a round battery, probably a 2032.

With the computer turned off and unplugged from the power, carefully remove this battery.

I would then install a new one as they are as cheap as chips (pun intended)

Does that work please?

I am not sure if that would work but I talked to an expert who says the problem is with the motherboard.

Yes I agree that it'll probably be the MB but the battery fix is very cheap and can also work. Anyone up to you.

I got a brand new battery on msi gaming motherboard
I will let you know in about 10 minutes if it works

Cool, am standing by

Ok hold on almost done I am hooking everything back up.
No nothing still a blinking cursor line
Thanks anyways.
I am not that good at computers lol. I am good but not that good.

You may surprise yourself!

Lots of good videos on YouTube click me

I know the last expert had the screen say DMI update a success or something
What is DMI?
Thanks for all the information maybe one day I can replace capacitors.

That's to do with the BIOS on your motherboard click me

Try going into the BIOS on boot up and click to select the default configuration.

You can also try taking out one stick of RAM to see if it boots too.

I am convinced the motherboard is bad.
hongkongpom
hongkongpom