Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I'd like a better plan for my Passwords. I use 3 computers…

Customer Question
I'd like a better plan...
I'd like a better plan for my Passwords. I use 3 computers (PC's) and an iPad and iPhone7. I have over 200 passwords for various websites. I've been using KeyPass ver 1.33 to store my passwords and other info.Most of my passwords are short and easy to remember. I'd like to change these, but am concerned about ease of use. I read one article on using KeePass for auto entry (http://www.geeksengine.com/article/keepass-5.html) but it doesn't work reliably and it doesn't seem to save much time anyway.What do you recommend for a secure but not too cumbesome plan for using & storing passwords, that works on PC's and mobile phone? Also I should probably add 2 factor authentication for some sites?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Software
9/23/2017
Software technician: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 10 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

My recommendation to you would be a program called "LastPass"

Here is a link to check it out:

https://www.lastpass.com/

that would be a lot of work to switch from keypass. what would Last Pass do that keypass does not do?

I may have misunderstood, were you asking for something to replace KeyPass?

no, read my original question
i'm looking for a plan/strategy, if possible still using KeePass

So you are looking to have KeyPass automatically update your short insecure passwords to something more secure, yes?

I can change passwords easy enough. But for long & difficult to remember passwords, can keepass automatically enter them at the websites?

The method you sent in the link is the only way for KeePass to do this.

LastPass however does have an auto fill function. It also has a feature where you can have it automatically generate a secure password ***** you

is auto fill worth it? following the keypass article it looks like I need to open keepass and select the entry, and then hit a hotkey to fill the name & pw. so it doesn't save much time... a copy and paste is just a fast

The auto fill fulfills the function you asked me about, so whether it is worth it or not is up to you.

But yes, with KeePass, the hot key is the only way to do it.

is there any advantage with last pass vs keypass?

Auto fill/auto login, password ***** regular updates and support, modern, up-to-date, and simple user interface, can store your websites into categories, and supported on a wide variety of platforms.

keypass does all of those things... if I can get autofill to work. but still i'm wondering if autofill saves time?

The autofill in last pas requires no hotkey like KeePAss

does last pass automatically fill in name & pw when a website starts? If so is that a security issue (if someone else is using your computer)?
also now the key file I use for passwords is shared by several computers, an ipad, and an iphone (via dropbox). would this work also with lastpass?

Once on the website's login page lastpass will automatically log you in. It could be considered a security issue if someone was on your account, but if they were on your account they could open Keepass and see your passwords as well.

LasPass is cloud-based so no key file is needed

no, keypass requires a master password ***** open

As does LastPass

I will look into Last Pass, but I still don't know if it will work with all of my devices (sharing the same password *****) and if it will add any features that will save me time or add security. Your terse answers do not help me envision a solution that is better than I have now, even with the drawbacks in KeePass.

LastPass is cloud based which means it will share the same password ***** with any device you sign into your last pass account on. They have an app for PC, Mac, iOS, android, and a variety of other web browsers.

As for saving time, it would eliminate you to need to press hotkeys or copy and paste your passwords once it is set up.

It mainly boils down to your personal preference. (Do you want to have auto login or the hot-key method?)

If you choose to remain with KeePass, the hot key method is the only alternative to copy and pasting unfortunately.