Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

My Dell All in One crashed, it would not do anything. The

Dell tech said I needed...
My Dell All in One crashed, it would not do anything. The Dell tech said I needed to wipe it and start again. I found an answer on line and ran a C:\ chkdsk.
Everything is back except the windows programs. They will not start. The computer says it does not have a key code.
I bought this from Delland the Windows 8 key code is on the sticker on the back but I can not find a place to reinstall that code as all the windows programs will not run.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer

Hello, I can attempt to help you with this issue. What happened when you used the chkdsk utility?

And what steps did you take when you attempted a wipe of the system?

Thank you for the quick response. I have just gone through this with another just answers expert that took 6-12 hours to respond and was not much help.
I do hope you can help.
My 4 year old Dell All in One would not start. The day before I tried to get a deceased friends pictures off his old blackberry for his wife. I did find the photos and had a cord from his blackberry to my Dell, which I left on overnight and in the morning, the Dell would not start.
I do not know if that was a coincidence or not.
I called Dell and they advised the normal, start in safe mode, hit F8 repeatedly. And finally said, there is no option but to wipe it and start again, losing all programs and data.
I am 50 miles outside of Dawson City, Yukon. The bio I read, if said you were from BC, Canada. So I am a 3,300 mile drive from Vancouver. There is no help here.
I have a slow satellite internet connection, although it is the fastest you can buy here.
Anyway, google gave me a tip and I was able to run C:\ Check disk f and r. That chugged any for 3 hours and returned the machine to normal except none of the Microsoft programs work. I can not get into any of then.
I bought the machine from Dell with Windows 8 preinstalled and the sticker and key code number are still on the back. It may now have upgraded to Windows 10 as I saw that once on a screen.
I have rebooted it 20 times.
If I reboot and shift F8 it allows me to go to F2 or F12 I have looked at both and can not find a system restore in any of the menus.
Since no Microsoft programs run, it will not connect to the internet or email.
I am on my iPad with you now
Please help
Although it would be good, you can not connect to it as the internet will not run until windows is restored. I was hoping it was as simple as finding a place I could type in my key code, it would recognize that I have a ligitamate liecence and all would be well

It should be that easy as it should recovery using the F8 button upon bootup. I am reviewing what you have stated above now.

Thanks, ***** ***** works well but only gives me the option of F2 and F12 which both look like the old DOS boot registry

Alright, can you tell me what exactly the F2 and F12 options are?

As they appear on your screen? Also, it sounds like so far your hard drive may have been faulty. If this was the case, you would indeed lose your recovery partition. Have you ran any tests that mentioned anything about a faulty hard drive?

All the tests I can find show a clean running system , except it says
" We can't activate Windows on this devise because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you have a valid license or key, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004F022"
So I click on Troubleshoot and nothing happens. It grey's out and a circle of balls goes around, then nothing

Alright. When you let the system attempt to boot up normally, what errors do you see? Do you see the Windows screen at all?

F2 said
Aptio setup utility
Main- Advanced -Boot-Power-Security-exit

OK does it show a hard drive listed under Main? It is usually listed as Primary Hard Drive, or something similar.

F12
Boot mode is set to: UEFI;Secure Boot : on

What about when you look under "Main"? And did you previously see the Windows boot screen at all?

Main has
Bios revision
Bios build date
System name
System time
System date
Service Tate
Asset tag

A few things to note - I do not believe the Blackberry had another to do with the problem with your computer. There is a very small chance it may have contained a virus, but if the Blackberry is working correctly and has no power problems, it is unlikely to be the cause of this issue.

For Dell restore, you would want to begin tapping F8 -BEFORE- the Windows screen, almost as soon as the computer turns on. We aren't trying to get the Windows safe mode menu, there is an option through Dell to get a recovery menu, which does not directly involve Windows.

I do not know of a way into Dell recovery.
As soon as I turn it on at the switch, I start tapping the Shift & F8
I have not seen anything but F2 and F12

Try it without the shift, and just taping F8. What is the exact model of the Dell system?

Without the shift and just F8 it starts back up normally, I put in my password ***** the normal screen shows up, except that no Microsoft progams run
Dell XPS 2720

When you say no Microsoft products run, can you elaborate slightly on that? It was saying you need to activate Windows?

excel, word, outlook do not open.
The windows logo in the lower left corner does nothing when clicked on

What error do you get when trying to open word?

Is it possible for me to remote into this computer to see the errors myself?

Let's try

OK great! Near the top of our conversation you should see a dialogue that mentions remote assistance. You can click this to allow a remote session and I will be able to log into your computer.

Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer
Ok, did that, paid with PayPal.
How do I connect the Dell to the internet without windows or Microsoft. I can usually do it wireless, but I have also attached a cable direct router

Please click and install the following program on the machine to allow me to connect remotely --

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=67199c71-f6dd-4b7d-9ca6-55589b55f7ae

I believe you mentioned previously the computer would load Windows, you were just unable to open some of the applications?

Correct, not excel, word or even the little windows logo in the bottom left corner does anything.
I have not figured out how to connect it to the internet.
I have connected a cable from the computer to the router, so it can do wirelessly or wired, what ever we can figure out
Remember, I am on my iPad because I can not figure out how to connect the Dell to the internet
It says the is no internet connection, run windows network diagnostics, but no windows programs run

Ahh alright, I was thinking it was because of the other problems with the Dell. Alright. Does the network show up at all? I was hoping to connect to see the extent of the problem when you say there are no running programs. Also, have you tried starting it with Safe Mode, with networking support?

How do I get to safe mode

Tap F8 when the computer is booting, I believe you said you were able to get into it that way before and the computer would turn on and go into Windows?

Tapping F8 gives the option to go to F2 or F12, if neither is picked quickly, it goes on to the normal screen that requires password, once password ***** ***** in, the regular desk top is displayed.
Everything works, like my gps tracking program, except windows/Microsoft programs do not work, clicking on, excel for example gives and hourglass beside the curser, then nothing

When you say everything works, are you able to connect to the internet?

No, I can't, I am assuming it is controller by a windows/Microsoft program
I even tried Firefox but it will lot work. My connection panel says I am connected but the programs do not seem to know

Alright. Have you tried a different browser, such as Internet Explorer? It sounds like it is partially working. If we can get something that understands it is connected, we can install the remote connection and I can get it and get a better look.

I did get a message from the Dell system restore
System restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.
Source: %programfiles%\WindowsApps
Destination: AppxStaging
The restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore

I am wondering if there may be a hard drive issue. Do you hear any loud clicking that you didn't notice before?

Try this out and let me know what results it gives you --

To initialize the Dell PSA or ePSA diagnostics:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. When the Dell logo appears, press F12 key on the keyboard several times to open the One-time Boot menu.
  3. Use the down arrow key on the keyboard to select Diagnostics and press the Enter key.
  4. Follow the on-screen prompts and answer them appropriately to complete the assessment.
  5. Write down any error codes listed

I apologize if you've done this already, but I'd like to see the results. As you accepted remote assistance, I can give you my phone number. I understand it is getting late, and I will be happy to continue working with you even if it is the next day. If I do not answer my cell phone, please leave a message and I'll get back with you as soon as possible. You can also send texts as well. There are no additional fees from my end to do this, and I will assist you with this situation to the best of my ability no matter how long it takes. It has been a few minutes since you've responded but I realize the hour. I will be happy to work with you tomorrow or anytime through the weekend, just let me know when is the best time! -- Harold

I will try that in the morning.
I might have mentioned that I am at a gold mine in the Yukon. Another miner arrived at my door and needed help so I have been off the computor for an hour or so. If you ask for help up here, it is a given that you will get it. You neverI might have mentioned that I am in the yukon, 50 miles from any form over civilization
Another miner showed up asking for help. It is the unwritten rule, that if you ask for help, it is provided. We are remote and you never know when it will be you needing help.
My day starts about 6 so after that I will let you know how I made out
Thanks
Dean
F12
Diagnostics
Color bars, yes
No errors found, run remainder of test?
Takes 30 minutes, yes
Finished running, no errors
Dell suggested this
Steps to follow :
1. Keep Windows Key(square icons on key and lies in bottom row of keyboard next to Ctrl/Alt) pressed and then press R
2. Box (Run) pops up
3. Type slui3.exe and click OK
4. Product key box will pop up.I did it and the box came up, but says Windows can not find slui3.exe

It is great to connect back with you. Can you try to press the Windows button and R, as you did previously, and instead type in iexplore

I want to see if internet explorer works properly. You can try to go to google.com if it comes up.

Thanks for sticking with me.iexplore worked and the internet screen came up but the machine will not hook to internet, either by cable or wirelessly, perhaps we could work on that for a bit

Alright great. It is odd there doesn't seem to be any internet connection. You said from the icons at the bottom right, it says it is connected to the internet?

Try to connect with both the ethernet cable, and wireless. If we can get you connected to the internet, I will be able to remote into the computer and attempt to repair it from there. That will be much easier to diagnose and resolve the issue.

Both wired and wireless show good signal and enabled.
IPv4
IPv6 conductivity shows not connected
The only thing I can think of is that the Microsoft network adapter is not running, same as all the other Microsoft programs
I did find that windows button plus r, then slui.exe asked for a key code
I have a CN-057MT9-74431-3CO-0150
But the computer wants
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Do you have the Windows key on a sticker on the computer?

If you push the windows key and R, type

cmd

then push enter. Then type...

ping www.google.com

And let me know what it says.

A big blank screen, with what looks like a dinosaur
Under that, "there is no internet connection"
Try
Check cable
Reconnnect wifi
Run Windows diagnostic...which I have done several times to no availDNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET
I can get the internet properties panel

OK. Use the Windows button and R to get the run prompt, type

cmd

Push enter. Then type in --

netsh winsock reset

After you do that let me know what it says. Then you will restart the computer.

The requested operation requires elevation ( run as administrator)
C:\users\Dean> Is the prompt
Can I change that to administrators

OK. Press only the Windows button, and type "cmd"

Do you see it say Command Prompt when you do this? If so, right click on it, and click Run as Administrator

You can also try pushing the Windows button and X, and see if that has an admin command prompt. If you only see command prompt, you can try right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator.

One more way to get administrative command prompt --

Push the Windows button, and R

Type cmd

Instead of just pushing enter-- hold down control and shift, and press enter while still holding control and shift.

Control+Shift+Enter

I really appreciate your help. I have to leave for a few hours.
If you are available then, I will try to reconnect
Thanks
Dean

Not a problem, speak with you soon!

I found a new box so cancelled my need to leave
Windows PowerShell
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>Can we get somewhere from here?
Administrator: Windows PowerShell is on the screen now

Alright. I think it will be easier to push Windows and R, then type cmd, then press control, shift, and enter at the same time. Control+Shift+Enter should let cmd run in administrator mode.

I did that a few times but nothing happened.
This must be incredibly frustrating for you, not to be able to log in

Yes I would definitely like to log in. It should bring up the command prompt just like before, except it will be able to do administrative functions, such as the command we attempted before. It won't look any different.

So you'll type in cmd at the Run Prompt. Then while holding down the Control and Shift button, you push enter. This should open the cmd prompt, allowing you to do the netsh command we attempted earlier.

I ran the netsh windsock reset.
It said it was finished and to restart, I have done that but do not detect a difference yet

Alright great. Can you type going to a command prompt, and typing

ping www.google.com

?

I get the same big blank screen with the dinosaur saying there is no internet conection

Alright. What happened when you tried to run the ping command?

Open the command prompt again in administrative mode. Then type the following commands. We will try to redo your network settings.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset

If you get any errors while doing this let me know. After you do this, restart. Do you have a phone that you could easily send me pictures with so I can see any errors you get while doing these commands? If not that is alright, you can update me as you are doing the commands.

I did all that and have pictures on my iPad that I am using to communicate, because, as you know, the Dell will not connect
Where can I send them. I am east of Alaska about 300 miles, text does not work. Do you have a direct email?

Yes I will give it to you now.

Did you get the pictures

Yessir. I just looked at them. I missed the call you just made, would you be able to call back?

A couple other things to try -

Go to the Run prompt, type services.msc

Locate DNS Client, double click it, then ensure it is running.

Locate Remote Procedure Call (RPC), double click it, ensure it is running (click on Start).

msconfig

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

• Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-reset-all-your-windows-10-network-adapters-just-6-clicks

I tried the digital citizen suggestion, unfortunately it mad no difference.
I had a thought. What if I bought a Windows 10 Home, had it flown in to me, I could load it from the disk, and that would bring things back.
We have air cargo daily
Would that work?

That should definitely work, as long as it isn't a hardware problem. I haven't seen anything directly showing what looks like a hardware issue, and there were no errors reported during the diagnostic test you ran last night, so from that it seems it is strictly a software issue. That should indeed be resolved by re-installation of the software.

I found the original certificate for Office. It has the correct code the machine was looking for.
Previously windows plus "r" brought up a box and slui.exe brought a place to type in the number. Now slui.exe brings a blue square and shortly disappears.
Is there any other way you know of to put in the product code?
If I reinstalled windows from a newly purchased DVD, would it wipe out all the data and other programs on the computer?

Yes, your best bet would be to back up anything onto the USB drive. Don't forget documents or pictures. You could attempt repairing Windows with a new DVD, but that doesn't always work.

It was most likely a code for Office and when you put it in you shouldn't be getting those errors anymore (having to do with activation). Are you still seeing them? I can't think of anywhere else you'd enter that code.

I can not see any error in activation anymore or any place to put the code now that slui.exe does not work.
I am going to quit working on this for a while. I need to do manual labor for a bit.
I appreciate everything you have done
Dean

OK no problem, it has been great working with you! If you would like to attempt any further troubleshooting, even if it's in a few days, or you get the DVD of Windows and have any questions about installation, I'll be more than happy to assist at no additional cost. Feel free to let me know at any time!

Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, Engineer