Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My Dell All in One crashed, it would not do anything. The…

Customer Question
My Dell All in One...
My Dell All in One crashed, it would not do anything. The Dell tech said I needed to wipe it and start again. I found an answer on line and ran a C:\ chkdsk.
Everything is back except the windows programs. They will not start. The computer says it does not have a key code.
I bought this from Dell and the Windows 8 key code is on the sticker on the back but I can not find a place to reinstall that code as all the windows programs will not run.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Software
9/22/2017
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If no programs will run on your Windows 8 computer, you have a defective installation of Windows that cannot be activated, until it is repaired, enough for you to interact with it and activate it.

Now, you can either run System Repair of some sort - from a CD disc that came with your computer, perhaps, or else by entering the F8 menu at system startup, and choosing some Repair option there, e.g. System Restore back to before the system crashed.

After that, if necessary, Windows can be reactivated.

Either that or, tell me what the screen shows when you try to start up Windows - do you get to log in to your Windows account? but then nothing works after that?

I will instruct you further on this. There is a solution; if you need further details let me know, and I will continue to help and advise you.

Thanks you, I am ***** *****.
My situation is that I am about 50 miles from Dawson City, Yukon, Canada.
The Yukon is east of Alaska, the site of the 1898 Gold Rush and were the reality tv show Gold Rush is filmed.
I can not get to a cell site or fast internet. We have a slow satellite based system. It is as fast as you can buy, but still slow. I am on my iPad as the windows programs do not work on the Dell, and therefore no internet on the machine we are trying to fix.
The main screen is the same as usual. The programs that are not Microsoft, like my gps mapping program work fine.
I did the shift F8 and it got me to a prompt for F2 and F12, neither of them lead me to a system restore option.
I do not have the original disks. The Dell came with Windows 8 preinstalled and the sticker with the key code is on the back and visible with the code.
I just can not find a way to put that key code back in the system
I need more help. Please respond to last email.

(I'm sorry I could not respond sooner - where I am (East Coast USA) it was too late to respond to your first posting yesterday.)

Try this please:

- from a powered-Off state, turn the computer On, and immediately press the F8 key, once or twice a second, until the text-only Safe Mode selection screen appears, with a highlight bar across it.

- use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight bar, to a Repair option. It might help. (You activate the option by pressing the Enter key or the RETURN key on the keyboard.)

Can you get to that screen? it can only be done from immediately-after-starting-up.

I did that. I get two options
F2 or F12
Neither have a repair option I can find. Both are like the old DOS days and boot priority