Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I want to build a website for my business and to sell my

Hi, I want to build a website for my business and to sell my products. I would like to know the difference of having someone build it or me doing it on a site like shopify. Also, how does hosting work if it is not shopify. Also, should I build it myself or have someone do it? What is average price? Thanks

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. If you want to build the site yourself, do you have a working knowledge on web technology and programming languages like PHP, HTML, CSS?
  2. Will your site be selling tangible goods that requires shipping? Or downloadable products?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No, I do not have experience with that. I would need a site like shopify to help me. We will be selling wheelchair ramps that can be shipped as well as installed locally. So I want a site where I can show our services locally as well as sell anywhere in the country.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please give me a moment to type a detailed answer for you. I will be back with the answer in a few minutes.

Regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok, thanks

Thank you for patiently waiting. Since you do not have a working knowledge on web technology and programming languages used to build and manage your website, you have few options to choose from.

First, you can hire a programmer or web designer/developer to build your e-commerce from the ground up, or through using popular ecommerce platform like WordPress, Joomla or Drupal. These platforms or CMS are free and can be used to build your ecommerce website but you need to hire professionals who have mastery and experience on those platform. If you hire a developer to build the site from scratch, it will be a lot expensive as compared to hiring developers/designers who will use the CMS or platforms I mentioned since these platforms are already existing and functional and what the developer will do is to customize it, program it or modify it to make it work the way you want your website to work.

As to the estimate costs, building an ecommerce from scratch can cost you about $5000 to $35,000 depending on the complexity of your design and workflow. If you want to hire a developer to develop your ecommerce website from scratch (that is, not using the existing CMS I enumerated), it can cost you around $10,000 to $20,000.

Regarding hosting, the developer has a recommended hosting company for you whom he/she has worked with in his previous projects. So I suggest that you subscribe a hosting package on a shared server that will only cost you around $85 per year. In this case, you will manage your hosting account and you just grant the developer access to your cPanel so that he can upload the files and database of your website there. There are various notable hosting providers out there like HostGator, BlueHost, etc.

So when you hire a web developer to build your ecommerce website from scratch or using a CMS, these are the things that you need to know or consider:

1. You need to subscribe to a hosting provider to host your site and your domain name so that you will not rely on the developer. The developer should only focus on building your site. But if the developer requires that your site is hosted in his existing server to reduce cost, that is acceptable especially if the developer is a company and not an individual. Whatever happens to the one you are communicating to regarding your website, that company can always get you another person to continue working with you.
  2. You should require the developer to build the site with mobile devices in mind. Most traffic nowadays come from mobile devices and your ecommerce website will not be competitive if it is NOT mobile-friendly or responsive.
  3. You will me paying the developer ONCE only, but before you accept his proposal, please inquire about the cost of having your site modified or reprogrammed. Also consider the rate of support.

Since your website is an ecommerce site, your other option is to use self-hosted ecommerce platform like Shopify. With Shopify, it is ecommerce out of the box. You can try to configure it yourself if you have a lot of time to learn it since you c an learn it even if you do not have technical knowledge on web programming. Or you can hire an expert to set it up for you and it can cost you around $300 to $2000 to setup your website.

With Shopify, you will not worry about hosting since it is hosted in the cloud using the Shopify infrastructure. But it is a subscription so there will be a monthly fee. But in figures, if you have a basic Shopify site, your monthly subscription is only $13 so it will be a number of years of subscription to equal the one-time fee that you will be paying if you want to hire a developer to build your site!

Also, Shopify has an add-on that allows you to sell locally! I believe you have a local physical store, so you can use such Shopify add-on feature.

For Shopify pricing information available in your country, please use this link:

http://tinyurl.com/y8ey6rj4

For more information about having an ecommerce web store, please check this article of mine:

http://technicalforum.org/e-commerce-tips-reviews/do-i-need-e-commerce-website

If you need a simple video guide on how to use Shopify, please refer to this link:

http://technicalforum.org/e-commerce-tips-reviews/making-your-first-online-sale-shopify-video-course-facebook-marketing

I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you so much. Sounds like me trying the shopify or getting the help for that seems easier at the moment. Does either option make a difference to the customer.?
No, the customers' experience with your site will be great in either options. The reason for this is because either shopify or CMS, you or tour designer will be building it for the customers to feel safe and secure, and visually appealing with seamless workflow. This feature is already built-in in Shopify and your developer can also make your site like Shopify since it is an ecommerce site.