Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I received a pop up that said it was Microsoft Melware &

Customer Question
I received a pop...

I received a pop up that said it was Microsoft Melware & that they had detected a suspicious fie on my hard drive & they wanted to look into it. I give the permission to do so I hope its not a scam I have a dell lapop

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not that I can remember,

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That should take care of it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Software
9/20/2017
Software technician: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. This is a scam! Are they still connected?

Dell laptop Inspiron
I don't know if they are not, they were connecting to my hard drive

What are you using to chat with me?

If possible, shut down your computer they are connected to immediately!!

I only have one computer, I can't shut it down but if you can connect to me please do
I am using the same computer it happened to

My apologies, but your payment failed for the Premium Service. That is not uncommon with some credit cards so don't worry about that. Restart your computer and reconnect to me please. That will disconnect them and we can deal with anything they might have done later.

Computer restarted I am back

Good. Would you like to try the Premium Service again?

Is that the one the payment did not go through actually I only want the one time help of getting this taken care of at this time
Are you still there?

No problem. Go to this LINK and click on the green download button. After the scan is complete, delete everything found and restart your computer. Do not take any calls or let anyone remote into your computer claiming to be from Microsoft.

If you found my assistance helpful, please remember to rate my service, and have a nice day!

I downloaded the software which is the same as I have but it will not start. Now what?
I downloaded the software which is the same as I have but it will not start. Now what? I also ran a scan before I contacted you & nothing came up

What type of antivirus are you using?

Melware bytes

Is that all you are using?

I think its the 3.0 addition I just reordered it about 2 weeks ago

Okay. MalWareBytes is one of the best for malware, but it is not a full blown antivirus program. You should also consider using something like that along with your malware scanner. I would suggest you go to this LINK and try this program as well.

I will do so but what about not being able to start my Melware program, that means its not working, How do I get it up & running also? How will I know if I got rid of the scammers?

You got rid of them when you powered your computer off... at least for now. Try uninstalling your MalWareBytes then reinstall it and see if you can get it to run. Let me know what happens please.

This may take a while, I will get back to you, thank you so much for your help. I will go download the new antivirus & try reinstalling my MelWare

Sounds good. I'll be around for awhile.

I have AVG downloaded but I can not get my Melware to work at all. It can not connect. How to I take care of that.
Also I cancelled my credit card & the company gave me a phone number to call for your service. I have(###) ###-####I will call them & give them a new card number. Are they 24 hours? Also AVG wants to uninstall my Internet Explorer. I ran a scan & it would not do it until I uninstalled it. How am I going to get my MelWare to work?
Looks like you are gone, I guess I will have to take my computer to my computer guy in the AM as I can not get the Mel
Ware to work, the anti virus will not scan as it wants me to get rid of my internet eplorer so nothing has been resolved. I will call the 800 number & tell them this. He can get into it & hopefully clean everything out.Thank you,
Roberta