Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I just tried ro open QuarkXPress 9.3.1 on my Mac, OS 10.11…

Customer Question
I just tried ro...

I just tried ro open QuarkXPress 9.3.1 on my Mac, OS 10.11 and got an error message regarding a Component Status saying the SpellChecker.qrc for 9.3 is a "load error". At the bottom of the window it also says "The component is damaged or corrupted and could not be loaded". I can't open any Quark files and I'm on a deadline.

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

A fair amount

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Apple? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I purchased in late 2010. Tried to get component from a qxp931_mac.dmg file I saved, but it failed to open on El Capitan.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Software
9/17/2017
Software technician: Jon, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

okay
I would rather have you talk me through it. $38 already spent and no fix yet. Hope you understand.

Please ignore any offers for remote assist as those are automated and not sent by me personally. I am just thinking of the best way to go about this for you. No problem

OK lets try this first, we will start easy :

Rebuilding the preferences files folder

If the application crashes, Force Quit out of QuarkXPress.

2. On the Finder level, go to the Hard Drive > Applications > QuarkXPress folder.

3. Inside the QuarkXPress folder, create a new folder by going to File > New Folder

4. Label the new folder Preferences (use an upper case P - It is important that “Preferences” be spelled correctly).

5. Launch QuarkXPress from the QuarkXPress folder.

Ok, give me a moment...

Take your time.

If that does not work there is method 2

1. Navigate to the QuarkXPress application folder (Hard Drive:Applications:QuarkXPress 9.x) and set the permissions for that folder to Owner: System, Access: Read & Write, Group: Admin, Access: Read & Write, Others: Read only.
  2. Navigate to the “Frameworks” folder (Hard Drive:Library:Frameworks) and set the permissions for that folder to Owner: System, Access: Read & Write, Group: Admin, Access: Read & Write, Others: Read only.

If the above steps fail:

1. Navigate to the “Frameworks” folder (Hard Drive:Library:Frameworks). In this folder, add 'Old_' to the beginning of the names of the following files: 'LogoSync.framework,' 'KodakCMS.framework,' ' Xalan-c-cw9.framework,' and 'Xerces-c-cw9.framework.'
  2. Navigate to the “For System” folder (Hard Drive:Applications:QuarkXPress 9:For System), double-click the 'QuarkXPress Components' file, and install the components in the default location.
  3. Try to launch QuarkXPress. If the message still displays, remove any special characters (such as these: .:*?|#) from the drive name.
  4. Try to launch QuarkXPress. If the message still displays, verify that you have full read/write permissions for the “Profiles” folder and its contents. (Hard Drive:Applications:QuarkXPress 9.x:Required Components:Profiles).
  5. Try to launch QuarkXPress. If the message still displays, run the Disk Repair Utility, located at Hard Drive:Applications:Utilities.
  6. Try to launch QuarkXPress. If the message still displays, uninstall QuarkXPress, then log in as the root user (for Mac OS) and reinstall QuarkXPress. For information on how to log in as the root user on Mac OS, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528?viewlocale=en_US .

Thank you for the screenshot.

Sorry I think the first method or fix I gave you was for the wrong version. You can try the following as well, it is similar.

1. Navigate to the QuarkXPress default preferences location

Macintosh HD/Users/Current User/Library/Preferences/Quark

2. Rename the QuarkXPress 7,8 or 9 folder as old_QuarkXPress 7,8 or 9.

If that does not work:

1. Navigate to the QuarkXPress 7.x, 8.x or 9.x application folder:
Mac Hdd\ Applications\ QuarkXPress 7.x, 8.x or 9.x.

2. Check to see if a local Preferences folder inside the QuarkXPress folder has previously been created.

3. If so, rename the Preferences folder as 'Old Preferences'.

IN order to find your "library" folder just incase you have not had to do that before just hold down option on your keyboard and then click "go" from your desktop and then you will see library as an option in the dropdown menu.

Tried the first two steps, launched Quark, same problem. Will try the other set of steps and re-launch.
Should I be un-doing the failed previous steps... or let them accumulate?

Don't worry about continuing the steps for the failed previous steps with the read and write section

No, I meant with anything like this: "2. Rename the QuarkXPress 7,8 or 9 folder as old_QuarkXPress 7,8 or 9."In any case I already undid this (took out the "old" from that folder name). Then, I did the other 3 steps, using the "old prefernces" folder name and still the same result.

OK, in that case I will go ahead and open up this question for other experts to attempt in hopes that there has to be something else to fix this issue. Thanks for your time.

Will this other software tech be informed about this kind of problem, so I don't have to go through another referral?
will the explaining I just went through be retained so I don't have to go through all these steps again?
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist