Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Adobe InDesign CS6: I made a calendar using 8.5x11 pages in…

Customer Question
Adobe InDesign CS6: I made...
Adobe InDesign CS6: I made a calendar using 8.5x11 pages in landscape format. I am trying to make a booklet postscript file to turn into a PDF for the printer's 12x18 paper. However, it keeps assembling the pages side-by-side on the short edge, not one over the other on the long edge.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Software
9/16/2017
Software technician: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 9 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

You will need to go into the print settings on the window from the picture you sent and change the format to landscape.

Please review question again, as it relates more to page imposition for printing with a saddle stitch. Note the way the pages are binding, which is incorrect. The picture/page that is on the right in the first and second screen capture should be above the other picture/page, on the long edge. These landscape 8.5x11 pages are to print one atop the other on portrait 12x18.

Sorry, I misunderstood. In InDesign, are the images positioned the way you want them to print?

Not at present, they are in "reader's spreads," as the document was designed/assembled. As long as I stay in multiples of four, all that usually has to be done is choose "print booklet," and it renders them in printer spreads to postscript, then I choose the level of PDF to be made based on the print quality required. What I need to know is what setting is where to make the pages "print" or assemble on the long edge...bottom of one, top of another. Sequence is not the issue here, it is the pages imposition. If you do not know could you please forward me to someone in the Software category that is an expert with Adobe InDesign CS6.

Alright, I will go ahead and send this out to another expert who may better be able to answer your question. Thank you for your patience.

Software technician: Michael Hannigan, IT Expert replied 9 months ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert

Hello. My name is Michael. Can you please attach the file here so I can take a look at it for you in AI? It might be easier for me to diagnose that way.

Ok. Thank you. I will take a look at this and let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your help on this. Just got called away on something, might not be back until tomorrow.

That's fine. We will touch base then.

Howdy! Any luck? The top of the front cover (bottom as you look at it in the page setup window) and the top of the back cover would be the long sides at the saddle-stitch.
Hello?
First: Correction to email chat with Dainne B: re: Adobe Illustrator and preparing booklets for print from that software. I meant Adobe InDesign, as per what is described throughout this question. Sorry for mis-typing that.Attached is a sample of the document in question (GRRoW_Calendar_2018 2pg.indd), and a PDF stating and illustrating the problem and desired outcome.
Hello?
Software technician: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I am Jins here to assist you. I took a PDF print from the InDesign document you sent. It seems, the PDF printing correctly. Please check this PDF.

Thank you, ***** ***** correct, but I will need to test it on the full 28-page file. Can you please send me screen captures of the settings you used, or directions on what you did to get this result? The solution needs to be repeatable, so I need to know what you did to resolve this issue. Due to our company's network security policies, you cannot connect to my computer to directly change this file. Thank you, ***** ***** me know.

Document Setup

Intent : Print

Page Size : Letter

Width : 11in Height : 8.5in

Orientation : Portrait

Binding : Left to Right

Bleed: 0.125in (Top, Bottom, Left and Right)

Then File > Print > Adobe PDF

Jins, thank you, ***** ***** settings are not working in the Adobe InDesign CS6 Print Booklet menu. I also do not see the Binding option you describe in any settings window. If you had not been able to review the problem overview file attached earlier, I have attached it here for ease of reference. True, each individual page is 11" wide by 8.5" high in it's landscape orientation, but the paper size needed to print "two up" (centered) per the illustration's third panel is 18" high by 12" wide. When the paper is set to the individual page's size, two pages then straddle and greatly overlap the undersized, specified 11 x 8.5 sheet. The print booklet feature employed is essential to rearranging the pages in what the printer needs to print on a larger sheet so that when bound by saddle stitch, the photo and month are correctly above/below each other when hung on a wall. An ordinary PDF print setting will not properly oppose the pages...it will just print them in consecutive order which is incorrect for this printing/binding application.
I made a sample 28-page file. If this were a brochure, note how the print booklet feature opposes the pages perfectly. Note screen capture 0_Sample_Brochure_Page-Portrait_Sheet-Portrait.png.Current and desired appearance:
1_Calendar_Page-Landscape_Sheet-Portrait.png Incorrect assembly for a 12x18 sheet
2_Calendar_What_is_needed.png Correct assembly on a 12x18 sheet.