Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

When I'm working on a Word document, it freezes and I can't

Customer Question

When I'm working on a Word document, it freezes and I can't work on it or close it or anything.
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: Idk. It's a MacBook Pro and I bought it new in February, 2017. Does that help you?
JA: When did you purchase your MacBook? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I bought it in February 2017. I've Googled my questions to a Microsoft question and answer community and have just been going in circles. I can't remember everything I've tried.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: This happened a few times last week and I finally figured out how to fix it and it was very simple, but I don't remember now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Before we get started I just want to see what our options are depending on your answers real quick to these questions.

1. What version of office do you have?

Easiest way is to navigate to your applications folder and look for Microsoft Office for Mac and it should say the version number next to it such as 2011, 2016 or Office 365. Instead of the applications folder you can click on the desktop anywhere and then click "Go" at the top of the screen and then choose "applications". This will take you to the Applications folder. You can also search for office for mac by using the search or magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of your screen. Also known as spotlight search.

2. If we were to need to uninstall and reinstall, is that possible? Meaning do you have admin rights to your computer and do you have access to the original disk, or downloaded installer from the office website?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is my original question: When I'm working on a document in Word, it sometimes freezes. Last week, after trying several things, I found something that worked and it was very simple. Now, it happened again and I can't remember what worked. Please help me learn what I'm doing that is causing this in the first place and then, an easy fix in case it happens again.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I have read your original question which is why I am just asking you 2 questions so we can proceed. Even though it may have been an "easy fix" I don't even know the version of Office for mac that you use. There are tons of issues in each of the versions out there such as 2011, 2016, office 365, etc.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Plus if the "easy fix" worked once but then is back, then it really did not fix the root of the problem. Especially when freezing or crashing occurs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand. I don't have time to look for the information for you right now as I need to leave my computer. I'll look up the info you need and, if I can't fix it myself later, can I bring that information to you and revise this question tomorrow?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Yes, just reply when ever is convenient for you. You don't get charged for every reply or question you ask me so don't worry. Just let me Know when your ready.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it so much. I'll be in touch with you tomorrow.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Your Welcome. Sounds good!