Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have investments for which I receive trade confirmations…

Customer Question
I have investments for which...
I have investments for which I receive trade confirmations off the investment company's web site.The trade confirmations are identified by the investment company as PDF files. When I used to click on the referenced files, they would open "as" PDF files.However at present, when I attempt to open these files, they are downloaded in some file format that I am not familiar with and when I attempt to open the file, I am told there is no software associated with it. I am prompted to select a program to open the file with. I search my laptop for Adobe Acrobat, then I am able to open the file.But I should not have to do this. I do not understand why the investment company's report files, are not simply opening as PDFs, like they always used to.Other PDF files that are identified as such on my laptop, open properly as PDF files, without needing to select a program to open them.How do I fix this association problem?Thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Software
9/10/2017
Software technician: Mr.Med, software engineer replied 8 months ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, software engineer

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Would you like me to set up a remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you better with this issue?

No. I think this is probably simple enough of an issue to be just given some instructions and maybe have some back and forth if needed. Thanks.

Ok, What Windows OS are you running please ? (7, 8 or 10)?

10

Right-click on the file you want to open, Click Properties, you should see the "Type of file:" please tell me

the file type and extension.

Thank you

It just says "file."
Does not list a particular type. All I can see is the file name, that the file is of type "file," and that is it.
  • Click Start and then click File Explorer
  • Click the View tab in File Explorer and then click the Options button (or click the drop down menu and click Change folder and search options)
  • Click the View tab at the top of Folder Options
  • uncheck Hide extensions for known file types
  • What is the extension of the file ?
It does not show it, even after all that.

May I connect to your computer please?

I would rather not. The files and what you would see are confidential.
I hope you understand. I am not trying/wanting to be rude. It's just that, obviously, this is personal information and I don't have a clue who you are.

Ok I understand, I will not open the file, you can try right-click on the file and choose open then choose your PDF program (eg :adobe reader)

This is what I am already doing. But how to fix the ROOT CAUSE so that I don't need to do that all the time?

right click the file and select Properties. click Change (next to : Opens with)

set Adobe reader or adobe acrobat as Your Default Program

Thank you

There is no "change" option in my view.
  • Ok, try to right-click on start, then control panel, click on programs then default programs.
  • Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program
  • Scroll down until you find .pdf
  • Click Change program
  • Select your PDF program
  • Click OK

Let me know the results

Thank you

Looks like I have to select a file extension first. But since I can't see the file extension....

Right-click on the file, click Properties and send me a screenshot

Thank you

Looks like PDF files are "already" set to open with adobe acrobat.

Ok, please Right-click on the file, click Properties and send me a screenshot

Thank you

OK.

Can you try this again please

• What is the extension of the file ?
I already did htat the last time you asked me and it did not show the extension.

If i connect to your screen, I will not open the file i will only tell what program you need to open it

Thank you

Do you see what I am saying?
I know what file to open with.... it is the Adobe Acrobat. The problem is the association...??? I have done everything you have asked me to do.

the option Hide extensions for known file types is unchecked which is good, now can you tell me what is the extension of the file please "filename.extension"

I am telling you that I already, the very first time you told me to do that, did that. I already did that. And it does not show me a file extension.

Try redownloading the file please

I have already done that 5 times, but OK.
I did it and, same result.
OK, I have to take a break. This is not working.

I'm out of ideas, let me open your question to other experts

Thank you

Software technician: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will help you with this.

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/
Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Also, this issue can be complicated. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.

It may be that your investment company's website is having issue as it does not download with the .PDF extension (nor with any other extension.) Can you please check if this issue occurs in other browsers, such as Firefox or Chrome? Can you please check if this issue also occurs on another computer?
Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you for your patience.

Are you also having issue with with downloading / viewing PDF files from another website, such as statements from your bank / credit card website?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist