Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I'm using AOL webmail on Internet Explorer. Sorry. it Sent

I'm using AOL webmail on Internet Explorer.
JA: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Sorry. it Sent before I was finished. My question is not about the equipment, but about commenting on an Aol News article and someone replies. Once the comments run into the thousands, I can never find the reply and respond to it. Is there an easy way to do that?
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that was it. I'm not even sure if this is the appropriate place to even ask the question. Web searches are useless. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Thanks.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?
  2. Are you getting email notification about replies to your comments? If yes, then the link provided in that email should redirect you to the actual comment newly posted for your attention. Have you tried it?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am using Windows 10. I do receive an email showing that someone has replied to my comment and there is a link to answer. However, the link only takes me to the beginning of the article, not to the person's reply. That's where I start getting frustrated.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are the comments managed by some online tools like Disqus? Can you please click on one of the email link to see if there is a comment number in the URL of the page? (Like -comment-######)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Jess. One of the problems with just answer.com website is that nothing is in black and white, but in pastel shades. I never even saw the place to respond to you because the part that jumped out at me was the $39 charge for Securely Connect, so I panicked and closed the link (too much like an online scam I got sucked into before!). Jean B. helped me with a link to return to the original page. Now I no longer know where to go to find your answer. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Please just scroll up to the page, if you are viewing this in your web browser OUTSIDE of your email, since this is the chat mode, and all our past communication are at the top.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jess,
Sorry for taking so long t respond. I looked a the URLs and there is nothing at all like that Here is a copy of one of one URL: https://mail.aol.com/webmail-std/en-us/DisplayMessage?ws_popup=true&ws_suite=trueI really appreciate your help AND your patience.

There is "mail" in the URL so please click on that link and then you shall be redirected to the site. Then copy and paste the link of that site.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried it twice and it's not loading. It starts, then hangs...

This could be a browser issue. Do you have another web browser like Firefox or Chrome? I suggest that you first try using Firefox, login to your AOL there, then click on the link in the email. If the link works this time, then you need to perform cleanup on your Internet Explorer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried it with Google Chrome and it does the same thing. I will reboot and try it again. I really appreciate all of your help. Because I'll never find it to save my life, can you direct me to a link where I can "grade" you and sing your praises?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
BTW, I did save the link t this page so that I can go back after the reboot.

Ok, I am standing by here... You can just bookmark or add our chat page to favorites so that you can get back to me here any time....

How is it going?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jim,
I rebooted. When you suggested clicking on "mail" in the URL I sent you and it didn't load, it came back with a suggestion to try AOL BASIC if the site didn't load. So I reinstalled AOL Basic. The problem continues. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has that concern, so if you or any of your colleagues can ever find the answer, you'll be a hero! Thanks so much for your help

Thank you for writing back. Can you try another web browser like Firefox or Chrome? I believe it is an issue with the browser, not the AOL site. Or can you please give me a link to a sample AOL news article with a lot of deep comments, like the one you are having problem with, so that I can check from my end if the problem is with AOL or with the browser.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I took so long. Here is the Link to the article: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/08/20/trump-s-approval-rating-stands-below-forty-percent-in-three-key-mid-west-states/23154913/?spot_im_reply_id=sp_IjnMf2Jd_23154913_c_CN6Zzp_r_uZFgEM&utm_source=SpotIM&utm_medium=E-mail&utm_content=replied-your-messageBy the way, I can see why you have a 5 Star Rating, which I also gave you. Many IT types get impatient and/or talk down to people. Believe me, I know. I worked in the field for years. Got my first job there because my ex-husband called in a favor. Cannot even begin t tell you how often I had to supervise and train new people who were told (behind my back) that they didn't have to listen to me because I didn't have a college degree. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help today.

You're welcome. I always treat my clients with "very basic" computer and IT knowledge so that I can offer them very detailed solutions. Unless the client tells me that she knows the basic and a little advanced IT knowledge, that is the time I stop providing more details since the client can find them her way.

Back to your problem, please give me a moment to check your link.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You're welcome.

The link of the article you gave me is working and the commenting is working as well. I believe the problem is caused by your web browser.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the problem for you while you watch on your screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, thank you. I don't wish to pursue it anymore. After several unpleasant experiences, I've decided to stop commenting on AOL entirely. It's just not worth the aggravation and rise in blood pressure listening to a bunch of ignorant morons. You try to ask a serious question and no one responds. Instead, they are all busy trying to outdo one another in the "snark" factor. My time is more valuable than that. Thanks anyway. I don't want you to think you wasted your time with me. You helped restore my faith in humanity--I just need to be a little more selective about which segments of humanity I choose to allow into my life!

LOL! I agree to that issues with commenting. I don't actually comment on social issues. I do comment on technical or IT related blog posts!

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time.

Best regards,

Jess