Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am recovering from a hard disk crash. LR found the

I am recovering from...

I am recovering from a hard disk crash. LR found the database just fine, and all the thumbs, changes, etc are in place. It doesn't know where the actual pictures are -- each time I d-click on a photo, it offers to locate it. The directory structure for the pictures is unchanged, but is in a new location. Is there a way to point LR to the new directory for the photos?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

A i7 Lenovo desktop, 2GB hard disk (w photos), plus now a 500GB SSD, which has program files and the LR database.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I rebuilt the system after the hard disk crashed. Saved all the files, but moved from a single disk to an SSD + HD. Directory names have necessarily changed.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?

I think that should be enough to point me in the right direction.

8/19/2017
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

What version of Lightroom are you using?

And is the catalog file, and photos on the same internal disk, or on a separate internal, or an external disk?

Also, would you like me to connect to your computer from here and work on the issue directly on screen? If so we can set this up via a secure remote assistance session. That session is guaranteed meaning if I cant help you then you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

Otherwise, I can try and assist you via written support alone. Let me know how you'd like to begin.

Thank you for your reply,
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

I'll get the info together and chat it to you in a moment

Take your time, ill be here till past midnight EST.

Dustin S

I'm hoping written support will be enough. LR version is 6.0, it also says "Camera Raw 9.0"
Interesting question regarding the catalog files. They are on my C: drive (500GB SSD, C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\lightroom), and on my D: drive (2TB HD, d:\Owner\Pictures\lightroom). Reason for that is because the D: was where the files where recovered to after the disk crash. I then copied them to the SSD, assuming that the catalog could use the performance edge. The outcome of that is I'm not sure which copy LR is using (sigh).
The photos are definitely on the D: drive (d:\owner\pictures: only location I have them at). It's a large collection 75K+ photos.
The original install was entirely on the C: drive (it was a 2TB hard disk), at c:\users\garneau\pictures\lightroom, c:\users\garneau\pictures.
Geek squad set up the recovery account as "owner" instead of "garneau" (my last name), and I didn't bother going through the Windows hassle of creating a new "garneau" account and changing ownership on 1TB+ files. They didn't have to clean-room the disk, but it had failed electro or mechanically, and the used their 'mule' to transfer the data to new drives.

Our best bet here, is going to be to recreate a new catalogue, and then import all the pictures into the catalogue ( since you know where the pictures are at, this should be simple and easy )

Or, you can choose to re-link all missing photos at once, though this isn't always straightforward especially if file names have changed.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/10/re-linking-files-and-folders-in-lightroom.html

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Don't want to create a new catalog as I use the Development module of LR heavily for photo post-processing, and would lose all of the changes (presumably). No photo filenames have changed, just the name of the directory where all of them are housed. The were in c:\users\garneau\pictures, and now they are all in d:\owner\pictures. File names, directory names, etc are all the same as before, but in the new location.

Then try relinking all the photos / folders.

Thats what we want to focus on..

D.S

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Awesome!! The blog post was exactly what I was looking (hoping) for. You got your 5* :-)