Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I have tried and tried, and I cannot complete my use of the

Customer Question
hello JA: Hello. How can I...
hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have tried and tried, and I cannot complete my use of the magnetic lasso tool in photoshop. am I in the right place?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: asus laptop with intel i5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes for windows10, but not for photoshop 10
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to cut out the background on my logo.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Software
How will I know when someone will be here to help me?
7/25/2017
Software technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 3 months ago
Pete, Computer Expert

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

great. thank you

the Magnetic Lasso Tool is an edge detection tool, meaning that it actively searches for the edge of the object as you're moving around it, then snaps the selection outline to the edge and clings to it like a magnet.

Does your logo consist of one object, or multiple objects?

To begin a selection with the Magnetic Lasso Tool, simply move the crosshair in the center of the circle directly over an edge of the object and click once, then release your mouse button. This sets a starting point for the selection. Once you have your starting point, move the Magnetic Lasso Tool around the object, always keeping the edge within the boundaries of the circle. You'll see a thin line extending out from the cursor as you drag, and Photoshop will automatically snap the line to the edge of the object, adding anchor points as it goes along to keep the line fastened in place. Unlike the standard Lasso Tool, there's no need to keep your mouse button held down as you drag around the object. Let me know how you get on with that.

Is it same price for you to explain to me how to do it?
okay, here it is....

It is all the one price for your question page here, where we reply back and forth.

You can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

My logo is an upright piano, one object....i have the piano outlined.

Ok, which step of the above instructions are you having difficulty with?

okay, i have all of that completed. The dotted line around the piano is slowly moving

Ok, so you are able to select it now?

If it is moving very slowly your computer may be low on resources.

I do not know what to do, or how to select it. It isn't moving too slowly
would it be easier for you to take control of my computer and do it, but still show me how to do it?

Unfortunately I am mobile at the moment so unable to connect remotely.

If you trace a line around the edges, it should select the logo image.

It may take a few attempts and a little practice.

Once selected, you can move the logo or copy and paste it elsewhere.

What do you intend to do with it once you have it selected?

okay then I have it selected. I want to be able to place my logo on various pages without the border, with a clean edge. I don't know how to save it without the background around the edge

You will need to copy it to memory (CTRL+C) then open up a new blank window and paste it there (CTRL+V).

okay, i just did that and the image that was pasted has the white edge just like the original

Ok, you will need to paste it with a transparent background.

Was the image scanned in or created on the computer?

You may need to manually delete the white area after pasting the image.

Go to Select > Color Range, make sure the Select drop down is on “Sampled Colors,” and then use they eyedropper tool to select an area of the color white which you wish to remove. Turn the Fuzziness down to 0, and click OK. Now simply hit the Delete key to remove the selected white area.

I copied it from the net then placed wording over the piano, then saved it as a jpeg
When I clicked on 'select' there was no option on the drop down bar that said 'color range' or 'sampled colors'

When you save as a JPEG, it compresses the image, so that would not be ideal.

Can you save it as a bitmap instead?

how do i do that? go back into paint?
okay, i've gone into paint and now have saved the logo as a 24-bit bitmap and i'm in photoshop outlining it now

Yes in Paint.. let me know how it goes.

Okay, i have now outlined it successfully and the dotted line is flowing
I guess that means the image is selected. now what do I do?

Now can you copy and paste it to a new blank window?

okay, just did that and it has the white border that i want to get rid of, and there is still not an option under select like you mentioned

Could you attach the image here so I may see?

the bitmap image?

Yes

i have seen in some YouTube videos something about selecting layers, or deselecting, and I had no idea what to do because they went to fast assuming the viewer knew every little thing to click.

Where are you pasting the logo into?

Is it being used in Word documents or similar?

If you save the Photoshop image as a .PNG file type does it work for you?

mainly into Word, but I will use it in other things like for business cards and for logo on t-shirts, but mainly in word

Ok, in Word you can set the white background to be transparent:

1. Click the location in your Word document where you want to place your image.

2. Click "Picture" in the Illustrations group on the Insert tab.

3. Browse to the location on your computer where your image is saved, then double-click the image to insert it into your Word document.

4. Click your image to make sure it is active, then click “Color” in the Adjust group on the Format tab under Picture Tools.

5. Click “Set Transparent Color.”

6. Click the color you want to make transparent in your image. Word removes this color from the image.

I will try that, but I still need to get the background (border) out of the picture
Okay, i did that in Word, but once I clicked on transparent color, it made the entire image transparent
Here is the word file.
o)
Are you still with me?
hello?
should I ask someone else????

Sorry, I wasn't notified of your reply.

The image looks quite good but not perfect in the Word document.

To improve it further will require manually touching up any missing black pixels in Paint.

Pete, Computer Expert