Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

Could you help in updating my current Wordpress theme

Customer Question
update? My theme screen shows...
Could you help in updating my current Wordpress theme update? My theme screen shows: "Update Available. There is a new version of Church [this is a child theme of Omega; Church theme inherits all Omega parent theme capabilities] available. Update now."If I click on update, I know I will lose all my customization and my website will not look the same as it is now.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Software
6/16/2017
Software technician: George Sibiya, Research and Development replied 5 months ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Research and Development

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising our services.

The safest way would be create a copy/backup of the Church theme, update it, and then if you remember all your customisation put them back.

In future, since Church is already a child theme, you might consider creating a grandchild theme which will have all your customisation which will not be affected by future updates on church theme.

Some ideas on creating a grandchild theme. You might actually consider it before updating the church theme.

Regards,

G

Should I install "Child Theme Configurator" Wordpress plugin to create a child theme of the Church theme. By the way, even though Church is a child theme of omega, I never created any child theme of the Church theme. In other words, if I click on update of the Church theme, I will lose all my customization (the reason being Church is NOT a child theme).
34;You can create any number of child themes from your existing Parent Themes. Child Theme Configurator lets you choose from your installed themes (even existing child themes) and save the results in your Themes directory.When you are ready, just activate the Child Theme and your WordPress site takes on the custom styles automatically."
I have installed and activated: "Child Theme Configurator version 2.2.4.1"

Mhh, thats also a great idea.

Let me quickly try out the configurator

62;Let me quickly try out the configurator
I have already installed it. If you connect to my computer using Teamviewer, you can see what it has done. It has created the whole css file.

Ok. I have tested it.

I think you can use it to create a child of Church as you have done.

Activate the new Church child theme and Update parent Church theme.

I'd suggest you experiment with this on a copy of your site say on your local machine if possible before doing it on the live site

62;I'd suggest you experiment with this on a copy of your site say on your local machine if possible before doing it on the live site
I do not have Wordpress on my local machine for testing.
I now have the pro version of this plugin.
When I clicked on the Reset selection displayed by the "Child Theme Configurator version 2.2.4.1", it did NOT display 4 columns on the footer portion of my website (instead it displayed everything under 3 columns). In other words, the RESET selection does not work perfectly.

Ok I'll give other experts a chance for more opinions

Software technician: Ricky Kresslein, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 5 months ago
Ricky Kresslein
Ricky Kresslein, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

So it sounds like you created a child theme of Church. Have you updated Church yet?

62;So it sounds like you created a child theme of Church. Have you updated Church yet?
No, I have not updated Church theme yet. If I do, I will lose all my customization. I have installed (and activated) both regular and pro versions of the "Child Theme Configurator". When I created a child theme of Church, it messed up the footer portion of my website's home page. So I had to use my backup to get back the original state of my website.
https://qsandbox.com/app/
Sandbox.com enables you to setup a test/sandbox WordPress site in seconds. No technical knowledge required. Why? Because you can test themes and plugins in test environment before you actually put them on your live site.

Is there any reason to update the Church theme? Why not just leave it as is if it is already customized?

Why update the Church theme? It is always showing update available. My reason is to speed up the website loading. If a theme is light with less java script, the score is higher. You probably know aboutPingdom Website Speed Test and Google PageSpeed Insights. https://wordpress.org/themes/basic/ is a stripped-down, free theme. Add only necessary features with free plugins. This is the foundation of good speed design. The said theme is fully responsive, clean and minimal WordPress theme.

It is highly unlikely that an update will make any noticeable difference in loading times unless it is poorly coded at the moment. However, if you really want to update, you can make a copy of the theme folder using FTP and then update. You can keep the copy as your website while you replace all of the HTML and PHP files that were overwritten in the update. It shouldn't take too long and doesn't require any additional software.

https://qsandbox.com/app/ can be used to install the said theme and then using copy-paste, transfer everything to it from my current website.

Yeah but that requires backing up the database and reimporting everything. If you just use FTP you can do it in just a couple quick steps.

62; If you just use FTP you can do it in just a couple quick steps.
Can you use my Dreamweaver's built-in FTP to do it?

Yes, if you navigate to your Wordpress directory > ​wp-content > themes > Church​. Just duplicate that Church folder and name it Church2 or something and everything will be backed up.

I can do this: Just duplicate that Church folder and name it Church2
I also have a css code file that extracted all css code from the currently active Church theme. The "Child Theme Configurator".did it!
The "Child Theme Configurator". can be used.

Okay excellent. So now you can just update the theme then copy your CSS and HTML/PHP files back to the folder and you will have an updated theme.

62;copy your CSS and HTML/PHP files back to the folder
The above is my problem.
Use the The "Child Theme Configurator". ?
if you visit nobleworld.org, you will find the "messed up" pages!
On the Home page, just the header (banner) is gone!
Are you online?
62;So now you can just update the theme then copy your CSS and HTML/PHP files back to the folder
What do you mean by the above?
Software technician: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 5 months ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Di you updated the theme? If not I can help you with this. For that I need Wordpress login details and web hosting control panel login details. Those are sensitive info and so do not share it here. This is a public platform and the data you share here can be viewed by every visitors.

So if you want me t update the theme for you, please accept my Wordpress support offer and pay the additional amount for it. Then we can communicate privately and can share the login info privately.

Regards
Jins

No additional offfer please.

Okay, then please let me optout. It is a time consuming job and it is almost impossible to give all the instructions.

I can just restore my backup in the worst case.
The previous expert did not say whether I should copy everything (all files and folders) from my wp-content/themes/church folder that I have on my computer as a backup

You should keep every thing in the Wp-content folder as a backup.

I have the full backup.
If you visit nobleworld.org, you will find that all contents are there; only problem is the column alignment.

You updated the theme? If so you need to do the customization again.

I updated the theme.
I only want to know what files I should copy to my host server (I am connected to my host server's c panel file manager)
62;If so you need to do the customization again
Could you explain what exactly to be done? I have the css code in my backup.
34;In creating a child theme, style.css and functions.php files are mandatory while template files, and other files are optional and can be created if required.To activate the child theme, in the dashboard go to Appearance->Themes. Look for the child theme you created and activate it. That’s it. Also, make sure the parent theme is also present in the installed themes for the child theme to work. If you now visit your site, it should look all same just like when the parent theme was activated. However, you may need to reset some of the settings in the Customizer."
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer