Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

Need a small program to edit the Authors property of files I

Customer Question
create with embroidery software. This...
Need a small program to edit the Authors property of files I create with embroidery software. This is for Windows 10.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Software
or if there is a command line to change this as well.
6/15/2017
Software technician: George Sibiya, Research and Development replied 7 months ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Research and Development

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising our services.

What is the name of your software.

Regards,

G

Wilcom Hatch is what I use to create my design. The design files that I create are what I need to change.
this is an example of one of the files I create for embroidery machines

Wilcom Hatch wont install on my machine.

So, the property you would like to change is one seen when you right-click on the file and then properties like here?

Ok thanks I'll update you

Please try SubInACL from Microsoft.

I have just tested it. You can change ownership of a file to a specific System user

You may test that while I look for one to change an Author as opposed to Owner if they should differ in your case.

they do differ this wont work for me I will wait till hear from you.

k no prob I'll update you

I'm out of ideas I'll give other experts a chance

Software technician: Josh, Computer Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
Josh, Computer Enthusiast

I apologize for the long wait.

Do you still need help with your issue?

I do
hoping someone can help with a simple problem
could even be a cmd line all i need is to put "Wicked Good Embroidery and Digitizing " in the Author in win 10 properties
Software technician: caraleneK, Software Engineer replied 7 months ago
caraleneK
caraleneK, Software Engineer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question

Please have a look at this tools https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-take-ownership-and-grant-full-control-permission-with-winownership/

I still looking around to help you I just need too understand what you want to changes in the files.

Waiting for your feedback to sort this out for you

just the file property that says author When properties is viewed in windows explorer.. I use to be able to do this on win 7 but can not on win 10.
did check out the takeownership but it still does not let me change the Author in the summary properties

What software or tool have you use in windows 7?? Also have a look at this please

Try Bulk Rename Utility, it can edit properties and attributes. It's freeware

Waiting for your feedback

win 7 used file edit pro wont work on win 10

Thanks for this feedback please look at this

https://apkeditorpro.com/apk-editor-pro-for-pc.html

http://www.icopybot.com/plist-editor.htm

I go Cool Edit Pro to work on windows 10 before if you like me to see if I can get your old program to run

Waiting for your feedback

it runs but will not work on the file properties of win 10

Thanks for this info have you look at the sites I send you

Software technician: caraleneK, Software Engineer replied 6 months ago
none of these will let me edit the author on win 10 have looked at all of these and d/l and tried them all 27 in total
Software technician: Richard Freese, building add ons replied 6 months ago
Richard Freese
Richard Freese, building add ons

Hello. I see you are still having difficulties locating software to edit author properties. What kind of document dos your software create like a PDF or something similar?

They are embroidery files
Here is an example
can you help?

I finally had time to take a loo at this. So far, I have not found and utility that will work on HUS files. Adobe does not support this format. I reached out to some colleagues and they pretty much confirmed this as well. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

I just need something to edit any file when in windows 10 explorer and you right click and choose properties. that is where i want to be able to change the author. I could on win 7 but not win 10?

Okay. Now in understand. Let me see what I can come up with here.

any luck?

Hi. Thanks for the reminder. I have three other JA cases I am working along with my issues at work. I have researched the issue. Windows 10, while far better than win 8 and 8.1 still does not make a pimple on the but of win 7 when it comes to the kinds of things you are used to. Renaming a file works like before but the functionality you are trying to use, did not get migrated over. I am still researching it though. I will get back to you as soon as I have an answer.

thank you thought i had just lost my knowledge of computers but nothing i tried work

This is the track I am following. This gets us close but I don't think this would work. Check out the dialog in blog. I am still researching this. So stand by.

https://www.sevenforums.com/software/290857-file-properties-editor.html

tried over 30 programs so far none worked

it turns out that there are a lot of users out there with the same issue you are encountering. All worked well in Win 7 but not in Win 10. Why dos Microsoft do this crap? removing useful functionality. I am still trying to find something. And I think I am getting close.

any luck yet?

Sorry for the delay. I have been busy caring for my wife as she has been ill the last few days. I will have time today to resume my efforts on this. I will get back to you soon.

Hello;

Have you tried this utility yet? It claims to do wht you are trying to do with you embroidery files. Let me know if this works.

http://download.cnet.com/File-Properties-Editor/3000-2248_4-10110632.html

I have win 10 that is for a mac

Don't know what happened. Here is an attachment of the utility.

I tried this on my windows 10 system here at work. It seemed to work okay. Let me know if it worked for you.

it does for some things but author is not one of them unless it is a MS office doc

You have to get the pro version which is only $19.95. Here is the link: http://www.foryoursoft.com/buyfpe.htm?REFER=FPF3.7.5.1

Give it a try.

I believe the pro version will do what you want. I tried a couple of times with different kinds of files and it would stop me and say "You need the pro version do do this. It allowed you to add fields like "Author" which is one you one you wanted. I did a lot of research to get this info. I would appreciate at least a five start rating for my effort. I will get paid and have more opportunity to earn more for my work. It would be appreciated sir.

I bought it but it does not work on my embroidery files
I have sent a tech support request to them so we shall see what happens

It's a shame that this did not work. Good luck. Let me know if you need me to do some more research.

Okay so, send me a fresh embroidery file and the license key for the software and I will work on it too. It may be a while before you hear from their support team.

There has been no response. I am assuming you have it handled. Therefore, I will opt out of this case. Have a great day.

Richard Freese
Richard Freese
Richard Freese, building add ons