Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

How do you mount a virtual directory for a cloud drive?

Customer Question

how do you mount a virtual directory for a cloud drive?
Category: Software
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 8 months ago.

I need some more context before I can begin to address this question.

Let's first ascertain that you actually know what you intend when you bandy about such terms as "mount" and "virtual directory" and "cloud drive."

Kindly share some more detail.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i am attemmy cloud drives like dropbox to a program called nuance cloud conector which works in clonjuction with paper port 15. every time i attempt to add one of my clouda i get this message: see attached screemn shoot

I don't see an attached screen shot. Are you sure you attached it? Press the paperclip icon (to the right of the chain link icon) to attach an image file.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they are with the psaper clip on my screen. here they are againScreenshot 2016-12-27 13.30.03.png Remove
Screenshot 2016-12-27 14.14.25.png Remove
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they are there
send linkshttp://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rnLW2VYR/Screenshot+2016-12-27+13.30.03.pnghttp://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/ZzGOTtuO/Screenshot+2016-12-27+14.14.25.png27 December 2016 03:19
Screenshot 2016-12-27 13.30.03.png
Screenshot 2016-12-27 14.14.25.png

The whole purpose of this grotesque, massive-scale marketing nonsense called "the cloud"--which, by the way, is nothing that didn't exist 45 years ago--is that everything is done automatically, stored "somewhere," ostensibly beyond your concern.

Why, then, are you concerned with choices of "virtual directories"--since (a) everything is virtual and (b) things are stored such that you can retrieve them.

If you want specific control over specific locations of things, don't rely upon cloud services: purchase your own server over which you exercise full control. The question of "virtual" locations within a cloud drive is essentially a non-question.

More on "virtual directories": there isn't even any guarantee that two files that you PERCEIVE as being "sisters" within the same directory actually reside within the same directory, or even on the same server.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
DOES NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION

Also, "mount" is a curious choice of word, since it implies "unmount." "Mounting" is a UNIX semantic that has to do with introducing a file system volume in place of an existing directory and its children, rendering the initial guys invisible until the mount is undone.

Plus, surely--if you feel confident to use the term "mount"--you are aware that only one with super-user permission on the box is able to perform a mount.

How does any of this fit with your request which is, like, out of context and essentially meaningless? Otherwise, please don't throw technical terms whose semantics you don't fully grasp.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i do not understand what more i can tell you

O I C . . . you were looking strictly for a rough-and-ready response to your screen shot, not for any particular understanding of what is or is not going on.

The screen shot is crystal-clear: you have not configured your cloud storage.

Most likely interpretation of that--if you insist that you HAVE configured it--the provider of this "service" has done so in a slipshod, "give me the money first and we'll make it work later," fashion.

Any overarching reason why you insist on giving away your intellectual property and storing it "yonder" on Lord-knows-what structure in Lord-knows-what location? I seek to understand the MOTIVATION in order to solve the problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
14i do not see why you care. OI want to use this program. paper port 14
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i am waiting