Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

In Outlook, I sometimes find the mouse pointer doesn't work.

In Outlook, I sometimes find...
In Outlook, I sometimes find the mouse pointer doesn't work. That is, if I try to move the pointer within the text, it seems to move, but when I start typing, it happens where the mouse used to be, not where I wanted it. I find I have to move within the document with the arrow keys. Highlighting and pasting doesn't work. If I move the pointer from the text to the address blocks, that works. If I close Outlook and restart, that fixes the problem. Temporarily I don't have this problem in any other software.
11/28/2016
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. When did this issue first occur?

What's your Microsoft Office / Outlook version, such as 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, etc.?

Do you have Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

Please let me know. Thank you,

Please try:

Solution #1:

1. In Outlook, click on File menu at the top, then click on Options.
    ; (For Outlook 2007, click on Tools menu at the top, then click on Trust Center...)
  2. Then click on Add-Ins on the left.
  3. Then click on the Go button near the bottom.
  4. Then there, uncheck any strange add-in, or add-in you do not use.
    - Or just uncheck all (you can always re-check back later any you need.)
  5. Then click on OK at bottom.
  6. Then close Outlook, then re-open it and check.

- For Outlook 2003 or older, click on Tools menu at the top, then click on Options..., then click on Other tab at the top, then click on Advanced Options... (or Advanced Settings...), then click on COM Add-ins...), then uncheck all items, then OK, OK, OK, and check.

Solution #2:

1. If that does not work, open Control Panel
    ; (Or press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window should open.)
  2. Open Mouse (or open Hardware and Sound -> Mouse.)
  3. Click on the Pointer Options tab at the top.
  4. Uncheck the option Hide pointer while typing.
  5. Click OK at the bottom, then check.
  6. If needed, shut down / restart the computer, and check.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Took a while for the situation to happen, but it just did and your recommendation worked.