Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I have a simple live excel report that I add notes to in

Customer Question
columns that are not part...
I have a simple live excel report that I add notes to in columns that are not part of the "refresh" cells. However I want the notes to follow the row it is beside once it is refreshed. I can describe what cells the notes need to follow to make it work.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Software
11/25/2016
Software technician: Bhavik Joshi, Software Engineer replied 11 months ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Please give me few examples to understand this problem in a better way.

Hi
I add notes in column K. When refreshed, sometimes the rows are removed completely and sometimes they jump up or jump down. The notes would have to follow column B (work order) AND H (Op Code) to stay in the right row. i need you to write a macro.

Okay. How you are refreshing the Excel ?

go to DATA, then REFRESH ALL
enter * if it asks you a question

Ok. I can see it now. When I refreshed it . My Comments were gone from column K

then make a macro for the comment to look for the correct work order (in column B, and then the operation in column H). If for some reason that particular work order was closed and disappears, I dont need the note anymore anyway so I dont care, however if the work order (or ROW) still exists, then I want the note to follow it.

I got your requirement. I have started working on it.

I think, I found the trick.

Please check this excel .

When I click on the link I get an error report. is there another way to transfer files?

Please try this.

I am trying to "close out" some line items to see if when I refresh and the lines disappear the notes follow the ones remaining in proper sequence but I am having issues. I will work with someone in my office tomorrow to confirm all is OK. If it works I will pay you double. Its well worth it to me.

That's great !! I would be waiting for your reply.

I manually took out a few rows then refreshed and it appears the comments do not follow the row it belongs to as it repopulates (they just stay where they are), but I will check it with the system removing the lines rather than me moving them in the AM.

Sure .

Is this is working fine ?

Good Morning Bhavik. I didnt get a chance to work on it on Friday but will make sure to check it on Monday.

Okay !!

Hi Bhavik
When I refresh, the note does not follow with the updated version. Try entering something in Column K where your note is or edit your note around line item 872. Then refresh. Your note stays at line item 872 but the work order moves up to line item 808

Okay, I will look into it.

I have added a macro code in it . Please try downloading it from below website :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkm0qngonuku0n9/shop%2Bload%2Binquiry%20-Bhavik.xlsm?dl=0

No, I think it is still not working. Please discard above message.

Hi David,

I have been trying different resolution but nothing seems to be working in this case.

I think I should opt out and allow other expert to look into it to see if they have any solution for this problem.

Please let me know if you have anything else for me and I am really sorry that I could not help you in it.

Thanks,

Bhavik Joshi

Software technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 11 months ago
Richard, Software Specialist

Hi there

As I do not have access to the underlining query that is performing the refresh I cannot edit it for you but if you look at the connection (Via Data / Connections) and click on connection you see the location only extends to J, this is why you have the issue. Recreate the connection (as it needs to point to your Query) make sure the location includes K and then K will remain

Let me know please how you go

Hi Richard
The data that is being pulled from A column to J column is from a CRM 3rd party software. Once I get the report, I manually add notes that relate to the work orders on different rows in Column K. What i was hoping to do was create a macro that is smart enough to know what work order (column B) and Op Code (column H) the note (K) belongs to and follow it after it is refreshed. If for whatever reason the work order no longer exists then the note in column K would be gone as well.
Richard, Software Specialist