Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I'm trying to install free anti-virus software, AVG or

Customer Question
I'm trying to install free...
I'm trying to install free anti-virus software, AVG or Avast, but either installation is encountering errors. The computer is running Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and seems to meet the requirements of either software. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
11/10/2016
Software technician: Michelle, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

what error are you getting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With AVG the error seems to be the default 64 bit download. After downloading the correct 32 bit version, it still produced the same error. With Avast the installation reported an error as soon as it was started with the only message that the installation had to be closed.

What Operating System (OS) is running on the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

download the free trail and install it once done we can activate it with the purchased license.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Will let you know what happens

sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After downloading the AVG file, the installation produced the following error:
"Unexpected Error
Sorry, we've run into a problem during installation.
(Error code: 0xc007001d)"
It only gives us an "Exit" button, which stops the installation. It's the same error as mentioned previously.

are you logged in to windows as administrator or the primary account.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am logged in as administrator

can you send me the screen shot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you kidding?

i need the screenshot of the error.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have given you the text of the error. I am communicating with you on a different computer. I cannot send you the screen shot.

Please run the AVG remover tool : http://aa-download.avg.com/filedir/util/AVG_Remover.exe to completely uninstall any previous installation of AVG program from your PC.
Once uninstalled please use the following links to reinstall your AVG Free program.
Please click on this link. http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/827218 to determine whether your OS is a 32-bit or 64-bit.
Once verified please use the following links to download appropriate installer file :
32- Bit : http://files-download.avg.com/inst/mp/AVG_Antivirus_Free_x86_694.exe
64- Bit : http://files-download.avg.com/inst/mp/AVG_Antivirus_Free_x64_693.exe
Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. will do

let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We followed your instructions to the letter. Same problem. Perhaps we should download some other antivirus software. I need to assure myself that that computer is not infected. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ran a very old copy of Malware bytes. When we tried to update, we get the following error: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d). click on OK to terminate the application"
What do you suggest?

Uninstall the program Malawarebytes and restart the computer. Download and install a new copy of the . you may try Avira anti virus which is free and has been giving a good result. I have used it and the results are good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do . Thank you.

Feel free to ask if you have any question. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. Please provide a rating for the service, effort and the time by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did uninstall Malwarebytes. Site does download it, but it won't install. Same result when I download Avira antivirus

do you get any error?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
34;...has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

it looks like a windows installer program which is corrupt and its not allowing any of the softwares to install.

i can check for the problem if i remote connect however i have sent you the remote offer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you direct me so I can do it?
Software technician: Josh, Computer Enthusiast replied 1 year ago
Josh, Computer Enthusiast

Hi!

Another expert here --

The error code 0xc000001d for Malwarebytes is because you are trying to run the program on an older processor and it does not allow that. Fortunately, Malwarebytes has a fix for the issue right now. Click here: https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/7yxf8at2gv2yu3x4h6qlvtevziq3ziut

Download the Hotfix and run it. It should allow for you to run Malwarebytes now.

In regards ***** ***** other programs, it is likely the same issue happening with your older processor since Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. Try using this link for Avast since it is designed specifically for XP, click here: https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus

Please let me know if the above programs work now. If there is an issue, please reply back otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much. I knew that persistence would offset my lack of good looks. Will get back to you as soon as i get a chance to try it.

Thank you and let me know how it goes!

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great! Got Malware bytes installed. it picked up 620 bad things. Will let you know about the next step.

Great! Let me know

Hi!

I am helping you on a new question that you opened but haven't heard back from you on this question here.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Josh, Computer Enthusiast