Kelly Scriven
Kelly Scriven,
Experience:  IT Support Specialist at Flatirons Solutions, Inc.
96734308

I have windows 10 on my computer and it gives me a blue

Customer Question

I have windows 10 on my computer and it gives me a blue screen of death every day. the reason on the blue screen is usually different but often says "system thread exception not handled, memory something, and page fault something (sorry, write them down usually but cant find where I put them). I have tried everything I can from the internet to figure this out.
Category: Software
Expert:  Kelly Scriven replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to serve you today.

Windows 10 usually does not blue screen unless there is something seriously wrong. According to the information you have provided, it sounds like a paging file size. No problem! This can probably be fixed easily.

1. Open System Properties. Right-click the Start menu, select System and then click Change Settings, or use the Control Panel.

2. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Performance section.

3. In the Performance Options dialog box, on the Advanced tab, click the Change button in the Virtual Memory section.

4. In the Virtual Memory dialog box, jot down the minimum allowed, recommended and currently allocated paging file sizes in the last section. Then, uncheck the box that says Automatically manage paging file size for all drives. If more than one drive appears in the available drives list, click your system drive -- the one on which Windows is installed, which is usually C:.

5. Click Custom Size, and then type values into the Initial Size (MB) and Maximum Size (MB) boxes, making the maximum size 1 GB (1,000 MB) or up to 4 GB (4,000 MB), depending on the amount of installed RAM.

6. Click Set, then OK.

After these steps, close all open dialog boxes and restart your computer.

Correction - Step 5 is where you can adjust the paging file size. Enter in the max number that is showing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks for responding so fast. I have tried this in the past couple months with no avail. I have 24 gig of ram installed on the machine and a couple months ago I had initial size set at 4 gig and maximum size set at 12 gig. It did not help so I went back to "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives". It currently shows min 16 MB, rec 3966, current 3584. Let me know what you think I should put them at.

How long ago did you upgrade the computer? Do you know what brand of RAM you installed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I purchased the ram and ssd from crucial.com I did it maybe 6 months ago when on windows 7 (I was having these blue screens before the upgrade in windows 7 and I thought maybe these upgrade as well as updating to windows 10 would help).

Can you follow the instructions in this link:
https://www.digitalmastersmag.com/magazine/tip-of-the-day-how-to-find-crash-logs-on-windows-10/

I would like to see what the event logs say about your computer's blue screen issues.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here are two of many errors that happened today under system log:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-E3F8QFQ\jess SID (S-1-5-21-114640237-535842954-2707711205-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.7.0.14393_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.and:The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Looks like Cortana is giving you problems (first message). Let me see what I can find. Please allow me a few more minutes.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It looks like the critical errors (when shut down happens) happen at the same time as these errors:
-Performance power management features on processor 0 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
-Performance power management features on processor 4 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
-Performance power management features on processor 6 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
-Performance power management features on processor 2 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
-Performance power management features on processor 5 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
-Performance power management features on processor 7 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
-Performance power management features on processor 3 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.
-Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.There are

What brand of computer do you have? Dell? HP? Home-built?

Everything I am reading is showing that a firmware update is needed, most likely on the motherboard.

For Example, if you have a Dell computer, you can go to their website www.dell.com, click on Support, put in your serial number, and it will redirect you to a page where you can download drivers, including updated BIOS firmware. Same goes for HP, etc.

If your computer is a custom build, you would need to know the make/model of your motherboard and processor (intel i5/i7, etc).

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My motherboard shows as EVGA Product: 132 -BL-E758 Version Tylersburg. Do you know how I would find and update the firmware for that?

Awesome! I was able to locate the firmware for that.

Here is the link to the downloads page: http://www.evga.com/support/download/

I have also attached a screenshot of the information you will need to select to download the proper driver (see attachment).

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Got it updated. Do I need to update any of the other drivers from that website? How do I know if that took care of my problem?

It couldn't hurt. If the drivers are part of your computer, then I would definitely recommend updating them.

It would seem that your problem occurred when shutting down/restarting. Correct? You can restart, or shut down then power on. Check Event Viewer, see if the boot process throws an error again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately the problem just happened again. It said " system thread exception not handled".Any other ideas?