Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

Websecurity expert: To do edit, I am unable to login (Admin)

Customer Question
to my WordPress website. When...
Websecurity expert: To do edit, I am unable to login (Admin) to my WordPress website. When I tried to login, the following error was displayed on my screen:"sorry! That page doesn't seem to exist."
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
11/4/2016
Software technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I have heard of this problem before fairly often. I have to ask, though:

to what URL did you go, to try to log in?

And did the error come up from the URL, or only after you entered your credentials (username and password) ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
62;only after you entered your credentials (username and password) ?
It happened right after I entered the URL http://srjtax.com/wp-admin

Then the location of that (wp-admin) page may have been relocated.

(Using that URL in my own web browser, I may confirm this.)

Whoever is in charge of your site (aside from you, of course - e.g. your web host perhaps) may have made a change that caused this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called goddady support (my host server) and they said my wordpress login seems compromised/hacked.
Attached file shows the errors (according to Godaddy, the problem is .htaccess was hacked)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I try to access: https://www.srjtax.com/wp-admin/
I get error display: "Sorry! That page doesn't seem to exist.". What to do now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
According to Godaddy support, my Wordpress login is responsible as it caused the hacking problem, not Godaddy server.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How to secure Wordpress login?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you online?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to solve this problem by disabling a plugin at my hostserver.

Good to hear that.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you at the time, it was late (in my time zone).

I suggest that, if there is still any sign that your login was 'hacked' in any fashion, that you make sure that your password ***** ***** easily guessed nor broken (your password ***** access to the wp-admin functions of your WordPress site, that is) by making sure it is not a word, nor two words, and that it has other characters than just letters in it, etc. (If you need further guidance as to what composes a good and relatively un-hackable or un-guessable password, let me know, please, and I will explain further.)

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No hacking at all. Here is the reply from WP-Client (Wordpress plugin) that I was using:
Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues getting logged in. This is most likely a result of the WP-Client "Custom Login" settings, which by default "mask" the standard "domain.com/wp-login.php" URL for security purposes.
See example screenshot here: http://screencast.com/t/VZshKZzkThis can be circumvented by navigating to the default WP-Client login page that is created after the plugin was initially installed. It is generally found at the URL "YourDomain.com/portal/login-page"Regarding the change of the page appearance, please try to edit Shortcode Templates.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Navigate to the stated page ("YourDomain.com/portal/login-page") and then what should I do?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had changed the shown screenshot Login setting from '"No" to "Yes". Did that cause the fatal problem? Should I change it back to "NO." If I change it back to "No", how to have a Login page (showing a "Register" field if any first-time user is Self-registering with automatic approval) which can be used by ALL users clicking on the menu selection "Client Portal" at my website?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know when you come online.

"YourDomain.com" is a stand-in for whatever your actual xxxxx.com for the site is.

So if you literally had your site at

xxxxx.com, then you should try to login at

xxxxx.com/portal/login-page

though I suspect that the whole of the URL is a stand-in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
62;"YourDomain.com"
I understand the above.
The real problem is how to enable the "Wp-Client" plugin so that I can access the Settings (screenshot sent by WP-client support. Because I got the fatal error, not allowing me to Login to WordPress to do edit, I had to go to my host server website to rename the folder to "Wp-client- disabled".
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please let me know when you are online.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do see the "login-page" when I type the following on the browser address field:
https://www.srjtax.com/portal/login-page/How to rename this login-page? Where does this page reside at my host server's website?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Success! I uploaded the old wp-client folder (the good one from my backup made before changing the WP-Client setting for login) to replace the current one. Now wp-client plugin is enabled and I am able to change its Settings.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist