Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Install, Update, troubleshoot and remove all types of software
63493917

SX2803 - on boot get disk read error. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on

Customer Question

SX2803 - on boot get disk read error. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on a plain black screen. Did that....same result
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Gateway SX2803-US20P
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried setting the BIOS back to the Load Safe Defaults but that doesn't work wither
Category: Software
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

It sounds like your hard drive has failed, or is in the process of failing.

I suggest you Boot from a disc, and run some diagnostics on the hard drive.

But you will either have to go purchase said diagnostic disc.....or use a different computer to download the diagnostics software (its free, from ultimatebootcd.com), and then burn the diagnostics software to disc, and then boot from the disc on the problem computer.

.

A situation like this requires a bit of know how, and its really akin to instructions, because there are so many variables and we cant account for all of them......thats why computer technicians are needed to fix the issue.

.

I dont want you to think that just because you get a diagnostic disc, it will fix the computer......all it will do is tell you if the hard drive is failing....which it probably is.

At that point, you have to replace the hard drive, and then REINSTALL the OS (Operating System), to restore functionality.

Then your data needs to be put back on.....but if your current hard drive has failed.....all the data that was on it.....is gone.

Unless you want to pay a bunch of money to get it recovered ($500-$1000).

.

This is going to be anythign but easy.

.

I suggest you take the machine in for repair....unless you are famialiar with diagnostics of hard drives, AND replacing them, and installing the OS.

YOu could end up spending WAY more time and money, ifyoutry to tackle it on your own.

.

I can help you through it thoguh.......if you want to try?

Either way......please take a moment to rate.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

SEARCHING the net... seems to be a common problem but there are loads of fixes by many. Have you seen this? HDD shows in BIOS

okay, if the BIOS recognizes the drive....you can try to run a recovery on the system.

But you still need to BOOT from a different source.

So, do you have a windows Install disc?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No it came prebundled and hadn't had chance to make the disks yet. HDD is beneath the DVD/CD ROM and almost impossible to get to. Wanted to check the cables, reseat, and try again. Can't find specs on this model to see how to get to it

The hard dive wont become unseated, and honestly visually inspecting it wont help much.

Laptops are extremely difficult to open, and replace componenets.

WHY? Because the manufacturer does not publish how to take them apart, becase they dont want consumers taking them apart.

They want you to take it in for repair.

Us computer technicians can do it....but thats a different story.

Honestly hard drives are screwed down and kept in place.

If the cables or drive needed to be reseated......the BIOS would not recoginze it at all.

So......the next step is to boot from a different source.

Such as a diagnostic disc, or form a Windows install disc....or USB.

If you dont have one.....you have to get one....either make one, or purchase one.

Thats what i woudl do if it was sitting in front of me.