swmcdonnell
swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Steve has many years of experience in software development.
47680681

I have a blog Leech Lake Muskoka. I have not used it for

Customer Question

I have a blog Leech Lake Muskoka. I have not used it for quite a while. My attempts to log on are thwarted. The system will give me an access code and then say it does not recognize me and kick me out and suggest I try again. I do with the same result
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: I have and they have questions and that is usually where I get into the verification codes
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No I have Nnot. It is months since I have been on. A couple of cottagers have asked me to post pictures and I cannot get on. Your security is very rigid which is good but in this case too rigid
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Software
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Let me know the url of the blog site.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
http://leechlake.blogspot.ca/
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

when you try to sing in what happens let me know the error you get.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Let me go back and try and give you the series of options
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

alright.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is a long process:I enter my un & p/w. it says wrong p/ for help and gives an # of options 10 Get at text mess. with verification code @ tel. # 2) g. Thenet a phone call with ver. code 30 Ask google for help getting into account. Then it asks for the p/w as I remember it. when I input that it asks if I want very. code at phone #. They want a phone #. Then they say the # is incorrect. Try a different question. When did you greate your google account. I do not know this one because it has been going on for years. So it then says enter an e-mail address we can send you a ver. code . So I enter my e-mail and then go and get the code. I then enter the code. The message comes back "could not verify its you. Cannot sign in at this time. I have gone through this process numerous times and am very frustrated
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

do you have access to your gmail?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I assume gmail is google mail and the answer is no
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if you wish remote assistance that is ok with me
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Gmail is basically you primary google account till the time you have access to it google will not allow any of its service to be accessible to you.

Try to get your gmail reset first every thing will be in your access after that.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

What is your gmail address?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been accessing this blog for years with a user name and password. What has changed
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Google has updated many things and has made many changes in there policies that is why its very important that you have access go gmail as a gateway to google.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK are you going to step me through this process?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

what is the user id you used to login to the blog site?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

may i know the password ***** used as well. I am trying to login at my side and see what recovery options i get.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

do you have access to the phone number ending with 29

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no. I thought it might be the # of my predecessor but I checked his phone # but that is not 29 either
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

confirm the recovery phone that you added to this account.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also tried(###) ###-####but that is the cottage # and we are not there regularly
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

tell me the phone number ends with ****29

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still working on this account?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

i am still trying to but you have not answered i need the phone number ending with 29 which google has in its record.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Google just wrote me a note telling me someone tried to access the account and they denied access
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not recognize a number ending in 29. I do not know where that came from. That may be years old and from my predecessor as administrator
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

I will have to open the question to other experts as i am running out of ideas.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

you will get an email notification as soon as an expert replies.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In the mean time I have to get some rest
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Please let me know when you are ready or available to resume with this chat.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jess I am ready to take another go at logging into my blog
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for writing back and I am very sorry for the late reply. I checked your google account and indeed your @rogers account is a working google account where your blog is being administered. However, you need to first verify it before you can access it. Still, we need to process this phone number ending in 29. Can you remember of having this phone number before but no longer active now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Jess, Sorry for the delay. I am at the cottage Leech Lake. I am on MiFi so it's not the most reliable. Jess I looked at all the possible #'s and do not find one with 29. There was an administrator before me and that could possibly be one of his numbers. It's definitely not his home phone as I check that out. So I am at a loss as to where this number came from. It's not even the # from our previous residence 1 years ago. I will be out and about trying to get some chores done here. I will check my e-mail periodically
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for writing back. Unfortunately, since your account has a limited recovery options, it will be very difficult to recover or regain access to it. I am out of ideas so please allow me to opt out so that my fellow experts can assist you further.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  swmcdonnell replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, my name is***** this a try. Click the link below, which will take you to the Google Account Recovery section and follow the instructions to try and recover your account. I can't really list the steps because it all depends on what you put in as to what you see.

Google Account Recovery

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Jess. I think I figured out the phone #. I think that is my cell phone(###) ###-#### The reason I did not think about it is that I seldom use this phone. It is a flip phone basically for my convenience. No one knows the # and I only use it to phone out. Sometimes even I have to search the depths of my memory to recall the #. So maybe with this # we can log in and get a code that will work. If you wish to try and let me know and I will try again when I get home this evening after I hear from you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Steve, Did you see my recent answer to Jess about the phone #. This may solve a problem. As I said earlier I am at the cottage on Leech Lake this afternoon and my MiFi connection I no that solid. It keeps cutting in and out. The phone #(###) ###-####may solve the problem as one of the questions on login is give me the phone # that ens in 29.

Great. So have you tried that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not Yet. I just arrived home and am having dinner. Will give it a go shortly

Great, let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got all the way through to where it said I needed a code and the code would be delivered by SMS. What is SMS? I did not ever get a code. I Tried a second time with the same answer and no code via SMS. Maybe SMS is some secret place that I have not yet figured out

SMS is a text message to your phone.

Do you send and receive text messages on your phone? (BTW, it stands for Short Message Service)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a flip phone with no messaging. I only use my phone for my convenience. So is there another way you can send the code it to my e-mail address?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am off to a meeting for a couple of hours will check when I come back

Do you know if you had a backup email address set on the account? Because the issue is that you can't log in to yoiur email account, so sending an email to the registered address won't really do any good. I hate to say it, but you have to go through the options again and see if you've set a recovery emaiil address.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I get to my profile and edit it?

You have to be able to log in to do that. It's kind of a Catch-22, but there are very good reasons why it has to be this way. Imagine that someone else could convince a support person, either through chat or over the phone, that it was their account. Then they would have your email account and could lock you out. From there, they could start changing your passwords on your other accounts (banking, etc.), using your Gmail account for the verification email. It happens all the time, which is why Google is so strict about the proof they need to let you into an account. They've been burned in the past, and very publicly.

So, it sounds like the easiest, and perhaps only, way you're going to get access to your account, is to get a phone for your phone number that will accept a text message. Then, you can reset your account and type in the validation code that it sends to your phone via SMS. Otherwise, you and everybody else might be locked out of that account permanently.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand that Gmail is access to all Google services. Is the username and P/W I have now sufficient to access Gmail once I am recognized or will I also need an access code every time I want to log on. The blog is the only Google service I use other than your search engine. If I am successful in Finally being able to access the account can I alter my profile. Can I add another administrator. I do have the ability to get messages on my flip phone so I am going to got to my isp and get a lesson on accepting and reading messages and then try to log on. The picture you paint is quite ominous. I do this blog as a volunteer to provide information about the lake to cottagers. I am going to approach the directors of the cottagers assn to see if they want to take it over and if not I will cancel the blob. I know this is TMI

Yes, you can change your password ***** what your backup accounts are: email, SMS, security questions, etc. Once you're back in, your back in and you shouldn't have any further difficulty.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I change the administrator of the account in the future through this process?

Yes, once you have access to your account, that gives you the ability to change everything about the blog. You can make other people administrators of the blog, without having to compromise the security of your Google account. See here for example.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. I call up my blog expecting to log in etc. I am already in. What is this after all the talk about security. I was not asked for a un or pw. I could just go in and click and get right to create a new post. So much for security. And you have charged me $50 for all this. I want a refund._

I believe you successfully unlocked your account. You were asked in the past for a username or password, and that's what started your support session here. That was before I started helping you, however, here is what you said:

I'll forward your request for a refund to customer service. Have a nice day and I'm glad we were able to help you gain access to your blog again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not so sure this works as I have not yet successfully logged in. I never did get enter a code as I was directed. While I was in there I posted an item requested by a cottager. I will log out and back in again.
* I was able to login. My first attempt said wrong pw and asked me to try again. I did with the same pw and it worked. I am still a little leery given all the problems I have had. I understand your emphasis on security and that is good. I thought maybe it had a great deal to do with the "crazies" out there and also about terrorism. However I was some upset about why I did not know about the changes and why I had to pay to understand your latest security