Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I have downloaded Windows 10. I can play music CDs using

Customer Question
Media Player. However, I cannot display...
I have downloaded Windows 10. I can play music CDs using Media Player.
However, I cannot display data off a CD that contains data such as a family tree.
I get an error message: "E:\ The directory name is invalid"
I previously had Windows 7 and could read the data discs.
What is the Directory Name required?
Please can you assist?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
10/1/2016
Software technician: Byron, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question. This is not an uncommon error

and no single fix seems to work for everyone. Try the potential solutions here:

https://appuals.com/directory-name-is-invalid/

one of which may work for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in South Africa. My telephone number is ***** long to fit into the appropriate section.
(27)11(###) ###-####

I apologize as I'm in the US and am unable to make international calls. Have you tried

the steps outlined in the link I sent above?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I shall do that now and if not successful I shall contact you again.
Thank you for your assistance thus far.
I notice that my bank account has already been charged with the total amount for a 100% solution. Is that correct?

I'm an expert here and only answer questions and am not involved in billing.

We do guarantee 100% satisfaction and as such any charge is fully refundable if

you're not satisfied.

Hi. I haven't heard back and was interested to know if

the invalid directory error has been resolved?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Byron
I'm afraid my problem with the DVD/CD drive has not been resolved. I have Disabled/Enabled and Uninstalled/RE-installed the drive and, in addition have had two Reimage scans/repairs. Having a one-on-one telephonic discussion with you at ZA Rand 15.00 per US Dollar 1.00 exchange rate will just about bankrupt me. Perhaps, I should accept that this problem is unsolvable. It's disappointing that Microsoft has done nothing to prevent this kind of problem from arising. Jerry.

Is this a desktop computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I lost contact.
I have an HP ProBooki 4530s laptop.

Did you try changing the drive letter of the drive itself?

Right-click on the start menu button and from the menu select Disk Management.

In the lower half of the screen, right click on the box labeled CD-ROM 0

and select Change drive letter and Paths

click Change

click the dropdown arrow to expose the available drive letters

you can select any letter from the list

and click OK

You'll get a warning about changing the drive letter

say Yes and then restart the laptop

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done that! The error message now reads G:\ etc.

Hi. Please take a look at my attachment below. When you open File Explorer (right-click start menu button and select File Explorer)

it defaults to the Quick Access page. Do you see any instance of your G or E drive there?

Byron
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist