Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I worked with Matt yesterday on an Adobe Contribute issue.

Customer Question

I worked with Matt yesterday on an Adobe Contribute issue. Using CS4 I can no longer connect to my websites to edit them. You might need this information: Account # 96499172 and Order ID# ***** I have contacted Adobe and the host company for my websites. Bluehost says it is an Adobe issue. Adobe says it is an FTP issue with Bluehost. I brought in a website consultant to the office and he could not fix it. I Just Need an Answer, a solution so I can edit my websites.
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I need some background on the problem, please:

- from where, can you not connect to where, using what (that is, from what computer/place/software, can you not connect to where/what (a site on the internet, I presume?), using what software on said computer in said place ... ?

- what has been tried so far, by whomever has worked on it, please?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Russell H, It will take me +/- 16 minutes to get you this information. It is somewhat complex given that I have worked with so many techs over the past 10 days. I will back with you soon. David

My guesses, if this helps:

- 1: your Adobe Contribute edits your website(s)

- 2: but it either cannot bring up the website(s)

- 3: or it cannot save work once it has edited the web page or site(s)

- 4: or both 2 and 3

- 5: with some error message perhaps?

- 6: and on what platform, Windows PC or Apple computer ?

Take your time... I hope that the above helps with the process, you can just give me a number and confirm or not, yes or no.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

RE: Account # ********** and Order ID# ***** Problem: After of years with no problems connecting to the FTP accounts using Adobe Contribute for four of my websites: *************** Ten days ago Adobe Contribute CS4 would not connect to the FTP server and find the files. The error message was that the either the user name or the password ***** not correct. The user name of onsafari and the password ***** f**kUPassword4! Was stored in Contribute but I did go in and reinter the username and password ***** without success. I think I contacted Bluehost, the host for my websites first. They could get into the FTP account and the files. The Bluehost tech support said it had to be an Adobe issue. If you have ever attempted to reach tech support with Adobe you understand the frustration I went through. I did reach a guy in New Dehli, India that seemed skilled. After over one hour, the problem was not solved and he directed me to contact Bluehost, which I did again. Once again, no solution. On day five, I had an idea. I set up a connection to one of our other websites: www.onsafari.info I used the same information that I had used to set up the four websites that I could no longer connect to and to my pleasant surprise, IT WORKED! I am able to connect to the FTP files for www.onsafari.info and make changes to the pages. Username and password: The username that I have used for all accounts is ************ and a password ***** *********** That is what I used to set up the www.onsafari.info connection that worked. A Bluehost tech set up a new FTP account with a user name of *************** I continue to get an error message: “Your FTP username or password ***** incorrect. Please check your connection information.” When I try to connect to the four FTP accounts for the websites listed above Connection to the server: I use FTP and not SFTP and I have been told that is correct What is the name of the FTP Server? I have used ftp.focusonplanetearth.org in the past. It seems that 69.89.31.217 also works. Path to the files: I was told by Bluehost that the files live at /home1/onsafari/ Then I was told that the files are located at /home/onsafari/ At one point I was told the files were at/home1/onsafari/public_html Port: 21 Options? After ten days working on finding a solution to this big problem, I thought about up-grading from Adobe Contribute CS4 to CS6.5 at a cost of $99. I tested CS5 and did not see a reason to up-grade. If I spend $99 and I still have the problem, well I will not be happy. I welcome your solutions. Additional Information: I did to a system restore on Windows XP back to the date before I had the problem. It did not work. One of my websites was attacked by a virus a couple of weeks ago and I paid $200 to have www.focusonplanetearth.com cleaned so that Blue host would put all of my five domains back up on the World Wide Web. David ****************

I'm sorry to begin with a criticism or two:

- first, you've stated some username-password ***** This is a public forum. I have flagged a Moderator to clean this up, but it's a severe security breach. If you can edit your response, please remove the username-password *****

- while working with others, did you give them the username-password ***** in a public-posted manner? if so, your sites probably have defective username-password ***** now. Or, have been hijacked. It is quite probable enough.

- I advise you to check with Bluehost (your hosting co? for these websites that are having FTP problems) as to whether your username and password ***** still the same. Or, use Internet Explorer, on the same computer that Adobe Contribute is on, to access the FTP addresses for those servers and those websites (ask Bluehost what those addresses for FTP access by Internet Explorer would be) and see what error you get! this is a good test as to whether the location on the FTP servers is accurate.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not provide the username and password ***** prior to this problem. I can contact Bluehost to see if the username and password ***** been changed. I here that you want me to try getting into the FTP account using Internet Explorer. I will give all of that a try. By the way, I partnered with Microsoft in 1996 to develop IE 3.0. Those were the days when Netscape dominated.

Netscape 3.0 was a competitive product then.

By the way, using Firefox, or other browser, to try to access the FTP addresses, would also do.

I am recommending using a web browser to try accessing those FTP addresses, in order to get a structured and informative error message as a result. Note all such error messages down, at least one of every 'pattern', please. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I downloaded IE 11 and I got all of these other programs attached to the download. I thought I was downloading from Microsoft but maybe not in that these other programs want to take charge of my hard drive. I am defraging my hard drive now.

If you have Windows XP, it is not secure any more, you know. Some of your problems may be owing to that.

What 'all other programs' did you get with IE 11 ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not have them open now. But here are the programs that came into my hard drive when I downloaded IE 11: ReimageRepair, PCAccekeratirPro, Chromium, Avast, BytFenseArt Malware, DriverSupport, InstantSupport, PremiumOption. This all happen when I downloaded IE11. Now, my computer is going as fast as a snail in a race this a turtle.

A lot of those are superfluous!

Eliminate these at least:

DriverSupport - for sure!

InstantSupport - how did you get that? were you downloading from a Microsoft site, or something less legitimate?

PCAccekeratirPro (PCAcceleratorPro ?)

Chromium - for sure. It's not for Windows XP!

and probably Premium Option whatever that is - I've not heard of it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It seems that downloads and up-dates can cause problems. My computer is very slow now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I now have a message that my Carbonite back-up system has shut down. Is it possible that a computer virus has got into my computer and f**king up everything?

Yes, that is unfortunately quite possible, with an obsolete system like Windows XP.

The best you can do is go to

Control Panel

and then use Add or Remove Programs to select, then remove or Change/Remove or Uninstal the programs I named in my last posting, all of which together *will* slow your computer down.

(Why ever did you manage to acquire them all? if you got Internet Explorer from a Microsoft site, it would never bring all that with it.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Another program just apeared. It is ByteFence. Is my computer under attack? Should I unplug my computer? It seems like 9 programs have attacked my hard drive in the past couple of hours.

The best you can do is go to

Control Panel

The best you can do is go to

Control Panel

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That makes sense. I will attempt to remove ten programs that I did not ask for but that somehow came into my computer when I downloaded IE11. It is 4:15 PM here in Santa Barbara and I have been awake thinking about a solution to this problem sense 3:30 AM. If I do not find a solution that allows me to edit my websites, I will need to close down a business that I started thirty years ago. I moved away from printed brochures and US postal service over ten years ago. My business now depends on using the Internet. It is "mind blowing" to me that I cannot find someone to solve this problem. Bluehost says it is an Adobe issue. Adobe says it is a Bluehost issue. So, I bring in a website consultant and he does not fix it. Now I spend money on Just Answer and it is still not fixed. I just do not understand why I cannot find someone to solve what I view as a simple problem with a simple solution.

You need to get a grip on your computer, is my suggested solution.

Then with that in hand, you can get the website back in hand and under management.

But... a Windows XP computer is not at all firmly secure any more. An upgrade to e.g. Windows 7 might suit your enterprise enormously well for several years (until Windows 7 became obsolete in due time.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am beginning my 12th day of working on a solution to this problem. I will do a Windows up-grade on the computer that has Adobe Contribute on it.

That may help. Esp. if you also get just the best security software upon it, and none of the worst/superfluous/etc. I can advise you when that time comes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Windows Up-Date did not have the option to up-grade from Windows XP to Windows 7.0. I have Windows 10.0 on my laptop. I will see if Adobe will allow me to use the serial number for CS4 to upgrade Adobe Contribute on my laptop to CS6.5. Getting a person at Adobe is very difficult. It seems to me that if I use CS6.5 on a machine that has Windows 10.0 and that fails to solve the problem, it has to be a Bluehost problem.

That sounds like a sensible course to take.

I hope it works on Windows 10.