Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I have a bunch of Excel worksheets. Each worksheet has 3

Customer Question
columns Part # (UPC code...
I have a bunch of Excel worksheets. Each worksheet has 3 columns Part # (UPC code actually), Description and Qty. I need to reduce the lists, on each spreadsheet to the same colum names but totaled by the Part #.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
9/16/2016
Software technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi Rod, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Can you send me a sample or dummy of your Excel file so that I can directly check the structure of your data? You can create a copy of the file, remove sensitive info, and attach it here using the Add Files button.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure, give me a minute. I'm working on 6 files tonight and have to complete about 100 by the end of the month.

Thank you. Please take your time

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The file is attached. What I do is delete all rows with no or 0. Then i sort by UPC and reduce the file to one row for each UPC (all quantities summed for each UPC). In the attached file, all relevant data end at row 117 or 118 (I think) .I'll need a procedure so I can do the rest myself.Thanks,

Thank you, ***** ***** me a moment to download and check your file.

Please tell me if this approach will work:

1. We will use or add 2 columns to the right, like C and D
  2. In column C we will list ALL unique UPC. For instance, you have 10000 in the list, but only 550 are unique. So Column C will list only 500.
  3. The 4th column, D, will compute the SUM of values in column B for each specific UPC.

Will that work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think so, The final result should include UPC, Desc and total Qty for each UPC.

OK, that will be alright then. But what I was saying was that in order to use formulas to automate this, we need to utilize other columns while the formulas work on the original A and B columns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do it the best way you know how - just as long as I end up with the 3 columns I need. If there are extra columns, I can delete the unnecessary ones.

Thank you. Please give me a moment to create the formulas for you so that you can test on your actual files.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jess, how's it going?

I am still working on the required formula... Please give me a moment

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roger that.

There are a lot of data so my array calculation is taking some time to show up. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

I am also trying a Macro approach. I need to see which is faster

I believe I miss something. Are you saying that the final summary table will only show those rows with values?

In the sample, you have almost 11,000 rows but few hundred rows with values. So you want to only display the rows with values and ignore the others, right?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've attached the final file for the sample. The original data had no duplicate rows - that's unusual. Usually the same UPC will start with 2, 3 or more row.

Thank you for the confirmation. Since you have a lot of data, extract the unique data will take a lot of time with array formulas and could cause Excel to freeze. What about the option to just manually extract the rows with data manually deleting those with blank rows, then work on the smaller file?

Ok, this sample file is smaller now, give me a moment to apply the formulas

Here is the file:

http://filesxpress.com/d-ac31e458

The file contains a summary table I created with formula. However, since there are no duplicates, the table is exactly the same.

Can you send me a sample or old file with few duplicates to test the formula template I created?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
who do I use this for my other files?

You can use this as a template. With your other files, you manually extract the rows with data, copy them, and then paste them in columns A and B starting row 2 since row 1 is the header. Then the summary table will automatically populate the data based on the data you pasted.

However, that template I just sent you only has 117 rows in the formula. You just need to drag the formula down to the last row you pasted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't you mean columns A, B and C - C is the column with the Qty.

Here is a modified version of the file, I already tested it by copying and pasting the tail end part of the data to produce duplicates, and the formulas just worked fine.

Also, I added IFERROR function to show blank cells when errors occur.

Here is the link:

http://filesxpress.com/d-a090a3dd

And oh, YES, you are correct. You need to copy and paste 3 columns A, B and C!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Jess. I'm very tires so may not be able to test until the morning.

You're welcome, Rod. Please take your time.

If you need further assistance with the template file I created for you, just let me know so that I can assist you further. Please bookmark or add our chat page to Favorites so that you can get back to me here in this chat easily.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jess,I just replace Columns a,b and c with new data.Should I do anything to Columns d, e and f?How do I "run" the application?Thank you,

Rod,

If you paste new data in columns A, B and C, the summary table will automatically populate with the correct data. Please check and verify that.

But in the last template I gave you, it works only up to row 124. If the pasted data exceeds row 124, please click on the last cell of the table and drag to the last row of the pasted data to cover the actual length of your data.

If you paste only few data, it will be no problem, the cells BELOW will show blank.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jess,It didn't work. See attached, renamed, file.I'm hitting the sack - hopefully it will work when I wake up.Thank you,

The formula is working, but there are few things you need to adjust when the data you paste is greater that of the existing table. You will see this easily because the table has colors. So if the data in ABC is shown past the table, then you need to do some adjustments.

Here are the adjustments you need to do:

1. In column D, you just need to click on the last, first or any row, point the mouse pointer to the fill handle, that is the lower right corner of the "selected" cell showing a + mark when the cell is selected, then drag DOWN up to the last row of the pasted data in ABC.
  2. In column E, you need to manually change the RANGE of the lookup, since it will not automatically increase. The formula in cell E2 is =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(D2,$A$2:$C$117,2,FALSE),""). The range to manually edit INSIDE the formula is $A$2:$C$117. If the row is up to 189, the range should be $A$2:$C$189. You need to do the editing of this range in the top row, E2, then drag down to copy.
  3. In column F, the top formula in F2 is =IF([@[Unique UPC]]="","",SUMIF($D$2:$D$189,D2,$C$2:$C$117)). The ranges to change so ensure they match to the actual number of rows are inside the SUMIFS function, $D$2:$D$189 and $C$2:$C$117. The first is already OK since it is already up to row 189. But the C range should be $C$2:$C$189.

Doing all these 3 adjustments will fix the problem, Remember, if you paste fewer data, there will be no need for adjustments, only when pasting larger data past the summary table.

Here is the final file:

http://filesxpress.com/d-c5ca03e9

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist