Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

In all previous versions I've had, I could pin a folder's

Customer Question
In all previous versions I've...
In all previous versions I've had, I could pin a folder's shortcut to my task bar and/or start menu, so that when they are clicked, they open in explorer with the trees showing in the left pane in order to navigate and move files among parents and children. But now in win10, none of this shows up in the left pane of file explorer. How do I fix this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
9/6/2016
Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago
Bruce Wilner

One of the "advanced features' of Windows 10 is that it no longer supports many convenient workarounds to which you have become accustomed. The easiest thing to do would be to create a shortcut that points to the indicated folder and either leave it on your desktop or copy it to the Start menu. Go to StartButton->ExploreAllUsers, navigate so that the indicated folder is in the RIGHT-HAND PANEL, then click once, right-click once, and choose CreateShortcut. You can move this shortcut to the desktop or attach it to the Start menu.

If you have trouble dragging and dropping to the Start menu, note that the Start menu is also available through Windows Explorer (that is, through ExploreAllUsers). It acts just like any folder, with the individual menu icons appearing as entires (files, shortcuts, links) in that folder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I did the step of creating the shortcut in that alternate way you explained (man win10 is poorly designed! there should not be 3-4 ways to do the same thing, yet each producing DIFFERENT results. Like the fact that display settings are spread across 7 different places.. yes, I couldn't believe I counted 7 different places you have to dig to in order to find all the display settings, and each place has different settings accessible compared to the other.), but it won't drag to the taskbar (man win10 is poorly designed!), so how do I do it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in the meantime, I went to try adding it to the start menu, but can't find how to do that either.
Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

The only way to do this would be to use Windows Explorer (Start->ExploreAllUsers) and hunt for the StartMenu or All Programs in Windows Explorer. If it's not easy to find, pull up a DOS command prompt, cd to \, and type the command dir /s /b AllPrograms*.*

Once you have found it, you can use Windows Explorer to open the StartMenu or its AllPrograms child folder like any other folder, and then you can copy and paste icons into it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please try to give more accurate instructions.
I click Start, and ExploreAllUsers is not shown.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it would help if you found a computer with win10 so you can give actual steps.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, just now, to make sure we were on the right track, I clicked that shortcut you asked me to create. But it is wrong and does not work. It does not populate the left pane. This was what this whole question is about. So please give the correct answer to this question.
Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

I didn't say anything about clicking a shortcut. I said to create a shortcut that points to the desired folder and then open the Start menu AS A FOLDER so that you can copy/paste icons. This is "THE CORRECT ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION." These are extremely straightforward steps to follow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you said "use Windows Explorer (Start->ExploreAllUsers)" yet that does not exist. ...but anyway, let move on and instead focus on getting to the solution.
How do I "open the Start menu AS A FOLDER", and why am I doing this if the shortcut you created doesn't work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know computers, and use win10? If yes, please give clear steps, because the steps given so far are either not correct or are missing information. Else the issue would be solved.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
before we even get to the taskbar portion of the question, which you have not responded to, let's start with the shortcut you asked me to make. Since it does not work, what is the correct method? (you should have tried this on your own computer before instructing me as it being the solution. If you had, this would have saved us from this wild goose chase)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, since you don't know, I found solution on my own. Here are the steps you should have given.
1. open file explorer and click on the View menu.
2. click "navigation pane" then activate "expand to open folder".
Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

THAT MUCH should have been painfully obvious. I can't teach you how to open a folder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you are not reading what the customer is typing. This had nothing to do with opening a folder. It was a setting that needed to be changed.
Please opt out of this question, do not respond, and NEVER open one of my questions again.
You are being reported to the Just Answer Moderators regarding your conduct and lack of assistance/knowledge in this category.
Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

Par for the course. A great many computer complainants are "unhappy" with their answers. Remarkably, those who ask sophisticated questions are always happy with the response. Those who ask "How do I log in?" find every expert respondent to be an imbecile.

Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

Had to do with a setting, eh? Your first remark: I want to "in a folder's shortcut to my task bar and/or start menu." THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH "A SETTING THAT NEEDED TO BE CHANGED."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are oblivious to what is going on and being said.
If you read the questions, you would realize this.
Please stop harassing me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MODERATOR
This expert is harassing customers.
This expert is not willing to read customers questions.
This expert does not understand computers, and/or does not know how to give steps to resolve issues.
I have asked this expert to stop contacting me, but he refuses.
Please block this expert from contacting me.
Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

I don't mean to harass you. However, if no other expert is willing to contact you, that should tell you something. Many experts decline to get involved when they perceive that interaction with the client will likely offer diminishing returns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have paid thousands of dollars to experts on JA over the years.
You are the first one to not know the answer, and then when I try to help you by showing you the answer, you refuse to read it, and instead respond with harassing statements that have nothing to do with the question that was posted (which it seams you never read).
This is why I asked you to stop contacting me, yet you refuse to follow JA policy.
Software technician: Bruce Wilner,
 replied 1 year ago

Thank you so kindly for trying to help me. I sincerely ***** ***** I am required to post this response so that the system doesn't keep bothering me with "Customer awaiting reply." Please do not respond. Thank you.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist