George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Research and Development
Experience:  PhD in Computer Science
94470076

Wordpress site needs blog post page independent from static

Customer Question

for Kamil Anwar: wordpress site needs blog post page independent from static homepage.
having issue with blogs running together vs. showing up one at a time.
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

Do you insist on Kamil Anwar, not someone else, to help you with this task?

If you do insist, then I will Opt Out promptly, re-opening the case, and (since he seems to be offline at present) you might then resume waiting for him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please opt out and let this remain available for Kamil Anwar

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I have done so, and at once. Thanks for your patience meanwhile!

Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

The static home page on your site has nothing, blog post page makes it together with the static page

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my blogs all run together. they do not show up one by one. my static on hsw only has the short video and it's okay for now,

i thought the youtube i found explained how to make new pages that would let the view of the blog be shown one at a time??

please look again and see how my most recent post is also displaying the prior ones. i hope to resolve it and only have the blog that i create show up by itself.

Please send me the link to the blog.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://heartspokenwords.com/blog/

anyone who goes to site and wants to see blog and hits blog ends up here

What do you want this page to show?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i would like to show the most recent blog and then have the option to see the other ones. previously it displayed one blog and showed older ones on the right to view

You want the /blog to show the recent posts, and also on the right side you want the widget to show recent posts correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i guess that is what i am seeking. can you send me sample site to see but long ago before we updated my website would show the most recent post and have the older ones by category on right.

today i just want to insure reader finds one complete and has ability to find others.

I don't have a sample site to show this unfortunately.
Well, the main blog is already showing the recent posts, i see the one published on the 19th on top "Five decades of writing" etc.. The only thing i don't see is the recent posts widget on the right side, so is it just the widget that i need to add? regarding category, i guess that should be a new question.

I just checked, and i am seeing the recents posts as well on the right side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. but what about the blog selection showing all right under the current. it is not seperating them at all....

i thought the link i found might have explained how to show the most recent blog and still have an independent static home page.

i just dont' want each blog running right after the newest with nothing to divide them. maybe tell me what options i have please

I am not getting the grip on this issue. I'll opt out and open the question to other experts who may have different ideas then me. Apologies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. thanks.

Expert:  George Sibiya replied 1 year ago.

May also welcome you and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will also try to assist.

If I understand you well, you want a user to be able to have a view of a single post/have an option to select and view one at a time instead of the list that they land on. in the example.

If that is what you want, most themes come with a file named single.php and its purpose is for that.

Regards,

G

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is. and the companion website 90poundheavyweight.org displays that way when you select 'blog'. the current site heartspokenwords.com does not

i do not have my blog as the homepage

Ok. Do you have some control or administrative rights on the site and to what level?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had prior help from ja that updated my theme for heartspokenwords and that started the merged blogs

right now it is just me and i can look at the dashboard and go wherever you suggest. i have never intentionally let either site be different from the other...same plugins etc so i can manage it

When you go to the dashboard are you able to see this menu as attached?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

trying to copy screenshot but i think so

Ok great. If you select themes from the menu you'll see a list of themes. Each will have 'Activate' button. You can activate any one and preview the site each time. You'll eventually find one that appeals to you and have the view that you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have only one active theme. theme sahifa. it is active and the same theme on each site. i dont' want a new theme

Looking at the sahifa code, it seems there is a lot that needs to be done to achieve what you want. CSS may not even be touched.

Please see the 'single post' and 'single page' sections here https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/

This will give you an idea of what has to be done.

The easiest option would be to download a new open source theme on your dashboard and try it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you read the link i sent when i first posed this question? i am not going to stick around and mess any more with this.

i just wanted to restore them to the way they veiwed before one site was updated and yes, each site has same everything and i can see no place where they differ to account for the display differences.

i am not opening or downloading new anyt hing. thanks but we didn't manage this. i don't want to continue

Ok no problem I was also trying. I will other experts a chance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let's just stop. no more help. i don't have the energy.