Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

This question is about adobe audition CS 5.5. I running on

Customer Question
windows 7 64bit. I...
This question is about adobe audition CS 5.5. I running on windows 7 64bit. I have used it to record audio from my microphone wihout incident for years. Now, suddenly, it won't record. Nothing happens, I turn on my mic, i hit record, and nothing shows up in the waveform editor.
I suspect that that setting of windows are off from the settings in Audition. HOwever, i have checked this carefully and they are the same. I have gone into *****>hardware and Sound>Manage Audio Devices and clicked on the record tab -- the device with the green check mark is MiaMidi Digital In 1-2. When I go into properties>advance it shows the settings at 2 channel, 24 bit, 48000 Hz (studio quality). . . however, I am not able to go into this dropdown menu and change it. So, I have gone into Audition under Preferences>Audio Hardware Default input is the same as windows (Digital in 1-2 (Mia MIDI)) and Sample Rate is 48000 and 24 bit.
The Playback is working fine.
Please help me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
8/12/2016
Software technician: Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist

Hello Richard, and thank you for choosing Justanswer.com

My name is ***** ***** the expert who will be helping you today.

I am reviewing your question about recording input for Audition, and will reply back shortly.Please Stand-By

Windows has the ability to MONITOR the microphone (audio input) levels in REAL TIME.

This is where you need to start.

Open the SOUND settings window

click the recording tab, now look for the input you are using.......now you need to send a signal.

Talking into the microhone SHOULD show the meter level go up on the input device on the screen.

.
Do you know what im referring to here?

Payment for this service (secure Remote Assistance) failed, please do not fulfill yet. JustAnswer moderators will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation.

im sorry but the payment for remote assistance has failed, and i can only help you in this chat window until the payment issue is fixed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think so -- is it under my control panel>manage audio devises?

you using Windows 7......correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in the sound settings window and there are no level meters and no where to test the mic input. the playback tab has a test button under advanced, but not the recording tab

Okay heres how you get to the recording screen.

Choose Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording tab

there should be a way to MONITOR the microphone (input) in REAL TIME to test to make sure it works.

YOu might be in the wrong place.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, i'm there, and it gives me the menu of recording devices. the device that is active (with the green check mark) is my Mia MIDI Digital in 1-2So I am double clicking on it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are 4 tabs: general, listen, levels and advanced. None of them have a place where i can see levels or test input

The meter that is circled in the image is the REAL TIME LEVEL METER.

.

If signal is being received on that input the REAL TIME LEVEL METER will change, and the bars will change color from BLUE to GREEN, from the bottom to the TOP.

.

So a weak signal would only turn 1 or 2 bars green.

While a LOUD signal, woudl turn about 5 or 6 or 7 bars from blue to green.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gotcha! Now I see the level meter. So. . .no, no level is being received.. However, sound is moving through my board and speakers. . . but not into/through windows.

No signal coming in, would leave ALL bars blue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all bars blue

Well, there you go.......check the connection.......did it come unplugged?

output is SEPERATE from input, and EACH have their OWN level and each are independtent of each other.

So just because you get sound OUT of the computer, does not mean the input (microphone ) is working.

Maybe the microphone died........do you have a dofferent microphone to try?

Is this a USB mic, or a miniJack mic?

The problem most likely lies in the microphone itself.

.

All things point to either a microphone failure......or the INPUT on the computer has failed......but that is LESS likely.

.

What kind of mic are you using?

Is it cheap, or expensive?

YOu also want to check the LEVEL of the input is NOT all the way down.

YOu also want to check that the input you want to use is not MUTED.

Have a look at this image for the levels im referring to.

To get to the input level......you have to select it (highlight it) on ther screen that shows the REAL TIME LEVEL METER, and then click PROPERTIES at the bottom.

.

Then click on the LEVELS tab

now you can adjust the input mic level.......aroun 85 or 90 is good enough......you dont want 100 unless you have a crappy mic, and you need to BOOST the input level.

Some come with a booster option, and some dont.

Richard?

YOu still with me here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am so sorry, i moved my computer to check to make sure the mic and board were plugged in and i accidently unplugged my whole computer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am back now :)

Oh dang.....ive done it too.....so dont feel too bad about it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. . . so yes, professional Electrovoice mic. . . also, it is plugged in and running -- the sound goes through my board and when i turn up my studio monitors, i can hear my voice coming through -- also lights up the levels on my board.

Whoa WAIT a minute here.

.

YOur ruuning a MIXER board?

That changes things. And just so i understand the setup.

YOu have the mic connected (via XLR connection) to the mixer board, and then the mixer board has an output (stereo) that connects to the INPUT to the computer.

Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is. . . however I found someone here in town who uses audition regularly who offered to come by and fix it -- I think i'm going to go that route.Thank you for your help.

i was not aware you were using a mixer board ( i didnt pick up on your slang of saying "board", and thought you were referring to MOTHERboard)

.

With that in mind.....the issue now most likely lies in the mixer board.

As that is where the signal is dropped.

Between the mixer and the computer.

Check the OUTPUT level on the mixer.

Make sure the oputput on the mixer is not unplugged.

Please take a moment to rate my performance. Thank you!

The Mixer might have multipel MASTER ouputs.

Stereo (R and L)

Digital Coaxial (Dolby digital 5.1 or higher)

Optical (Dolby digital 5.1 or higher)

Ultimately, if you are having a computer Audio INPUT failure.......you need a NEW audio card installed.

Computer hardware does fail, and normally unexpectedly.

The issue lies AT the master output of the mixer

or

the cable being used to connect mixer to computer

or

The computer Audio Input Interface (Audio card/chip)

.

its one of those 3 things.

What is the make and model of the mixer?

And again, the INPUT LEVELS for the input you are using should be checked as well.

.

its a possible issue......but not likely.

Just another thign to check.

.

This is why a remote session is so useful.

.

Anyways........please take a moment to rate my performance, and ask any follow-up questions you may have.

Thank you!

Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070