Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I am suddenly unable to stream music from my w, Windows

Customer Question
I am suddenly unable to...
I am suddenly unable to stream music from my w
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Windows Media Player to any of my devices. The problem began about 3 or 4 days ago. It was working fine on Wednesday morning.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: HP Envy 23. Windows 10.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Several things. All the basic stuff about ensuring that streaming is turned on. Turned it off and on. I have a program that's supposed to correct registry problems and I ran it. I have a program called Tweaking from Tweaking.com and I ran it. I did stuff through the control panel. Nothing seemed to work.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of, other than the cost.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
8/1/2016
Software technician: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Lets try this:

Shut down the windows 10 computer, start it.. When it gets to the windows sign in screen, dont sign in.

Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right.

Then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and then click restart.

This should bring you to the blue screen menu.. Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

Make SURE you system restore it to a date BEFORE your issue started and dont run anymore fix programs on it.

Let me know what happens. We will go from there.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, I'm writing to you from my iPhone because I'm now unable to use my computer. I first tried to do a system restore the way you suggested. I tried it twice and got an error message WDF Violation. This and then restarted my computer. So then I went into Control Panel to find system restore there. The earliest available restore point was July 29, which I think might be after the problem started. Nevertheless, I told her to restore to that day but I've been sitting here watching my computer for some time and all it says now is that system restore is initializing. I think the program is probably stuck and that I should turn off the computer manually but I'm not sure and I thought I would ask you first.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry about the weird words above. I'm using the dictation feature on my phone.

Never stop a restore in case it isnt stuck. It will/can do irreparable damage. Give it ten minutes to make it past initial restore stage.

Let me know in 10 minutes what you see. These things can take awhile.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, it's been way more than 10 minutes but I'll give it another 10 minutes and get back to you.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I waited another 10 minutes and it still says that system restore is initializing. I'm sure it's been a half hour or so.

Okay, go ahead and restart the computer. Let me know if it boots normally and you are in.

Friendly reminder.

If you would like to have a more hands on support through Secure Remote Assistance, I will send you an offer and I will be able

to log in and perform the fix for you. We offer this as an easier solution for clients. It is 100% guaranteed

money back if we cannot resolve your issue.

If you would like to continue with written instructions, that is absolutely fine as well. Just click the reject when you see the

offer and we will continue immediately in this manner going forward.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Uh-oh. It's not booting at all. The machine comes on but the screen does not light up. This is my third try. I tried unplugging it and pressing the power button before I reconnected it but nothing is working. I can hear it but I can't see anything

Start with turning the computer on and then continually Pressing the F11 key, clicking Troubleshoot, and then selecting HP Recovery Manager.

Will it let you get to this point. Do NOT go thru with recovery. (it may take several tries, its about timing)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't work. I tried seven times. The screen is completely dark.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BTW I don't think it's a virus or malware. I have both Norton and Malwarebytes and I ran full scans this morning.

Try just a couple more times please. It is just a temp error and should reboot by that method.

Also, if you are running malwarebytes (my favorite) and norton and if you have windows defender that it comes with?

They will let viruses in. You cannot have that many antivirus'. They fight for dominance and while they are fighting over control,

viruses slip in almost every time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not running Windows defender. I will keep trying the f11 key.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's still not working, but something is happening that I don't know if it means anything. A couple of times now the computer has restarted itself. I'm not doing anything except pressing the F11 key and of course I can't see anything since the screen is black.

Shut the computer down. Take out battery AND power cord from computer. Hold down start for 30 seconds and then put battery back in,

connect power cord and restart.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. This might take a while.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have an HP envy. I guess I have to unscrew the back to get it the battery?

Try it with the cord the same way by removing it. Lets leave the battery as is. No need to go into the back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing happens. Same as before.

What happens when you rapidly tap F1, F2 and F10. Please try each individually on a fresh start up. Please let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Thank you. Let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing. I tried them all twice.

Do you have access to another pc and a blank flash drive?

Also, how long have you had the pc that we are working on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do. I've had the PC for only about 2 years.

Here is my concern

" I have a program that's supposed to correct registry problems and I ran it. I have a program called Tweaking from Tweaking.com and I ran it"

The system restore we tried, would never put the pc in the condition it is in right now. The registry was already failing. The only thing the system

restore does is copy it and try to run again.

What we can do, use your other working computer and create a recovery drive following these steps;

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-usb-recovery-drive/

OR< if you are not comfortable with that, you can buy one really cheap here already loaded with windows 10:

http://amzn.to/2apJMcD

I can show you how to use either method when you are ready.

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm on my laptop and I have a 64 mb thumb drive with nothing on it. I'm ready to try the first option. I'll try the second one if it doesn't work.

Did you mean 64gb? That mb isnt big enough and has to be a decade old if it is mb??

Perfect! Follow that guide to the letter with your usb. Remember, it will take a very long time. It is a whole version of win 10.

Once it is done, we may have to try to get it to boot to that device. Hopefully, it will recognize it. Just did this with a win 7

in the same condition last night. Drive saved the whole pc. Lets try that and keep me updated when it is done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. It seems to say that it will erase all my data. I have my data backed up to the cloud, but before I go to this much trouble, is it possible that there's an alternative that wouldn't delete my data, say if I take the computer to a local repair place?

No, the link is for a refresh and keep files. There are tons of options we can use for this.

That is why i told you to create it from that article process, then we will move on together.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand now. It's saying that it will delete everything on the recovery drive. OK, I'll set it up and be patient. I guess I'll get back in touch with you tomorrow if it takes a really long time.

Great. It will take just a couple of hours. I will be in and out the rest of the day, but

on from 9am-late evening tomorrow EST

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did mean gb. When it's finished, should I just plug it into my computer and turn the computer on or wait until I get in touch with you?
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin