Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

My MacBook Air crashes after turning it on, 2014, Not sure

Customer Question

My MacBook Air crashes after turning it on
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 2014
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not sure the system- one of the newest
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it
Category: Software
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Does the MAC crash immediately after booting it up? If it doesn't crash immediately, please do this to check the software version.

From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X"

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

If you're unable to determine the specific version of OSX that you have, I can still provide you with general instructions for reinstalling OSX. If you follow these instructions, depending on the version that you had, you will end up with a fresh install of either the original version that came on the computer, which you should be able to update again, or, if a recent version, it may reinstall the same version that you had. The biggest problem is that you will lose any data that you had on the computer like photos, documents, music, etc. However, if it was a recent version and you had iCloud turned on, your documents and photos may be available in the cloud. You can check to see by going to www.icloud.com and signing in with your Apple id and password. After you've signed in, please click on the individual folders to see the contents. If your files are available there you can easily restore them. Any purchases of music or programs or games from the Apple Store (made using the Apple id that you set the MAC up with), will be available for you to re-download from the Apple store with no need to repurchase them.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Here are the instructions for reinstalling OSX:

· Back up any files that you need to save.

· Make sure that you the laptop that you are planning to restore has an active connection to the internet.

· Restart the Mac in Recovery Mode (hold down the Command key and the R key during restart).

a. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard.

b. Release the keys after the Apple logo appears.

· If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network, or connect your Mac to the Internet using an Ethernet cable.

· Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive.

Click on Disk Utility > Continue.

Select the main volume and click Unmount then Erase.

Quit Disk Utility (Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility).

Note: If erase is grayed out, you may not have successfully booted into Recovery Mode. Shut down again, and restart, holding down the Command and R key.

· When you have exited Disk Utility, click Reinstall OS X and Continue. Follow the instructions to reinstall Mac OS X.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you. I work a flex schedule, so it is possible that I won't be online when you return. I will however check back later tonight to see if you have questions. If you would like to schedule a time to do this when I can be available and ready and waiting for any questions that may arise, please let me know a time tomorrow or even Tuesday that will be convenient for you and I will do my best to be available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer crashes immediatly after turning it on. However I have gotten it to open in safe mode. The screen flickers, but it does not shut off. I am running OS X El Capitan
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

That's wonderful, that you've gotten it to open it safe mode! If you'd like I can try to connect remotely and do some troubleshooting, or you can just make sure that all of your settings and data are backed up and we can do a clean install. Let me know your preference.