Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

Jess Had problems yesterday with desktop icons took 45 min.

Customer Question
Jess Had problems yesterday with desktop...
Jess
Had problems yesterday with desktop icons took 45 min. to open & my personal Word processor files took over an hour to appear. Today, 6/2, Nortons is giving original error message: error 8504, 104.
Ref: I.D. 16407247
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
6/24/2016
Software technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Software Specialist

Hi there and welcome

It appears Jess is not online at the moment. Would you like to wait for him, or work with me on this?

Please let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
work with you

Thank you

So to confirm, desktop icons now take 45 minutes to open and Norton is giving these errors correct?

And which version of windows are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Win 10. I would like you to connect as long as I'm not charged.

It is an additional charge if you wish for me to connect.

Can you please reply on the other questions I had?

I have repeated them again below

to confirm, desktop icons now take 45 minutes to open and Norton is giving these errors correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It takes overran hour for my personal word proc. files to appear. As for the charge, this is a follow-up to the original problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the answer to you question is Yes to all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry. your question

Can you please press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me please how it now operates.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I get to chkdsk it says I don't have this privilege. must operate in elevated mode

yes, you need to press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to connect IF I'm not charged. Others have connected for no charge

As we discussed, there is a charge to connect. It is no problem if you do not wish for this but please carry out the instructions I gave

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
command prompt not accepting (admin)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
further, I have been told previously that there is no charge asw long as original problem is not resolved.

I have decided to opt out of working with you further on this.

You do not need to do anything, you will be contacted when a new expert takes over your case.

Thank you

Software technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Do you still need help with this problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jess
My Nortons at times is still showing Error 8504, 104. Unfortunately, to my shame, I became a little iratated at Richard yesterday because he kept telling me that I had to pay for him to connect. When I explained that I was told that it should be no charge if it is still dealing with the original problem he informed me that he was "opting out" of assisting me. He did gave me instructions on how to initiate a scannow & chkdsk command. This fixes the problem completely and I can work with my machine; however, after closing down for the night when I restart it the next morning I will have the same old problems of taking an hour or longer for all personal files to appear and eventually getting the 8504, 104. I learned that Norton says that an error in loading a program can cause the problem. Not long ago I downloaded the free Win 10. Could that be the problem? I woul like for you to connect to my machine again but Only if there is no charge! I only want you to serve as my tech. Sorry for the ranting.....RH
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I answered you on my Ipad. I'm now on my Surface.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist