Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  CISCO certified computer and networking expert
30970729

Several weeks ago, I filled out multiple/many IRS forms as

Customer Question

Several weeks ago, I filled out multiple/many IRS forms as pdf's for 2015 taxes and saved them in the Documents file of my Dell PC. However, upon opening them today, NONE of the information/figures I entered seem to have been retained or are visible or accessible--even when I downloaded a new Acrobat reader. Please advise what I need to do to access the data I entered and saved.. It would be far superior if you call me instead of emailing me. Thanks so much.
Sincerely,
Paul Insel Tel:(###) ###-####
Category: Software
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,If the information is not showing in the files then it has not saved.Your only hope of recovery is if you have a backup of the files containing the missing data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I DID save all the filled out IRS forms in Documents. That is why I am confused by the inability to see my "saves"!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the saved information cannot disappear so perhaps you saved them in a different location, or the completed forms were saved over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I wrote previously, a couple weeks ago I saved multiple drafts while completing various IRS formsin Documents of my PC. ALL the IRS documents are now blank. I did not save them anywhere else so there is no other place they would be. I am baffled because I have saved other pdf files since then and I can view them entirely so this just relates to the IRS forms.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The information from the saved documents cannot disappear unless those saved documents were written over, moved, or deleted.Can you check the date those documents were last modified and let me know what it says?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All were modified and saved on March 19 or March 20, 2016. I have not looked at them until yesterday, April 9. I printed one of the ~10 filled in forms so I have a record of what was on that one but no copy of any of the others.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Do the files you are viewing show these modification dates in their Properties?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I open the file, I don't see where I can access "Properties" (although there are many other options). Please advise how I do that. Thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Before you open the file, right-click on it and select Properties.Alternatively, let me know if you would like secure remote assistance with this...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. I can open at least one of the files and see Properties, which show it was created, modified and accessed on March 20 so what do I do to access the version saved with content?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Are the Created and Modified times the same, or are they different?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the one I looked at (I have about 10), the created and modified are the same and are 3 minutes after the "accessed" time.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then the changes were not saved to the file after it was originally created.It is possible that you may have saved a copy elsewhere, with the changes made.Have you tried searching your computer for all PDF files?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried with Adobe Acrobat reader to do that but is there another way?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes, on a Windows computer you can use the Windows search function to search for all PDF files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, everytime I modified those various files, I saved each of them in Documents so it is not clear to me how nothing seems to be saved now how nothing is saved in any of them...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If they exist anywhere on the computer, they will be found when you do a search.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the files show up on the search but opening several of them, none have the data/information that I am certain I entered on each of them on March 19 and 20..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then it seems that the saving did not work correctly for some reason.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems bizarre that I would have thought I saved 10 docs and now none of them have the data I entered...Could we possibly speak on the phone about this, as I originally requested?(###) ###-####is my number..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I will send you the phone call offer now, however all we can really do on the phone is talk about what we have already discussed.Perhaps remote assistance would be of better help, I will send that offer too.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Please accept whichever offer best suits your needs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Based on what I have done before I contacted your company and your advice I think this problem is non-fixable and don't want to spend more time, energy (or money) on trying to solve it, I will just have to start over on my tax forms..thanks for trying.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you need anything else just let me know.Don't forget to rate my help, it is how the site rewards me for my time...You can still reply back at any time after rating my service.Pete.