Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAp

Software

I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the extra commas

Customer Question
at the end of a...
I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the extra commas at the end of a csv export from Google Sheets?
Details:
I have a spreadsheet where the rows have a varying number of fields. When I save the spreadsheet as a .csv it pads the shorter fields with extra commas. Any way to remove these. Basically, I just can't have a row end in a comma.
Spreadsheet looks like this:
RED ORANGE
YELLOW GREEN BLUE PURPLE BROWN
WHITE
downloading as .csv gives this:
RED,ORANGE,,,
YELLOW,GREEN,BLUE,PURPLE,BROWN
WHITE,,,,
I need to trim the trailing commas off of the .csv file before it gets saved. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Software
4/6/2016
Software technician: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Before you export, you may have this showing in the formula fields for some of your columns. &"," That would show up at the end of the formula, and all that sybmol does is add a comma. If you see those in your spreadsheet before exporting.. We may need to clear those up and remove them. They should only appear at the end of the formulas so removing them shouldnt affect anything. If you see them, I would test by removing the &"," symbol from one column /formula, export.. See if that fixed the issue for that column, and if so then we can repeat the fix on other columns. If this doesnt help or doesnt fix the issue, let me know and maybe I can look at the sheet and try to figure out what the issue is. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, there is nothing like that on the sheet. I think it requires a Google Apps script that saves to csv and then strips off the commas.
To be clear, from the google sheets page your choosing file > download as > csv ? Or are you choosing another download setting?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You're correct, I'm going to File, Download as csv. It seems when downloading as .csv it wants to pad all the rows with empty fields so they all contain the same number of fields. I need it to not do that, and not have a comma at the end of the last (populated) field, but still contain commas between the fields (obviously). Thanks
How about if we download as excel instead? Or open office format. ( if you don't have excel ) We could then export from excel as csv or open office, and it may not add the commas. What I can say is that this isn't normal behavior, something is causing that sheet to export with the added commas.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Excel will do the same thing actually. And if I'm going to have to save it as Excel, then open it again in excel, I might as well create it in Excel in the first place (which isn't what I want to do).
Understood. Would it be possible for you to share or make the sheet public and provide a link so I can have a look at it and try to figure out whats causing the issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TGwhbdAKQZiwQz5INoEytDRGTC3UgKYpNpWr8gdNWSY/edit?usp=sharing
Ive not been able to repeat the problem. When I download as csv, and then open the file ( using excel or open office ) I dont see the commas showing. ( the only change I did was choose format, clear formatting) If you can get the commas to occur again, please tell me how you did so. Such as , download, save as csv. Then opened with " program"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Try opening with a text editor like notepad++, TextPad, etc. . I need it to stay in a .csv format for FTP'ing. I'm not trying to import it back into Excel.
Understood. Those commas will show in basic text editors, each comma represents a cell with blank data. Or rather, the space in between commas represents a cell with blank data. If you take the csv file and open in ( not import, just open ) excel or open office or any other spreadsheet app, those commas disappear and wont show. But when you open it with a text edit program, it has to show the commas or else it has no way to represent an empty cell. For instance, if you put the number zero beneath brown we see this when we open it with notepad ++ BLUE,RED,,,ORANGE,YELLOW,BLACK,BROWN,WHITEPURPLE,,,0, Showing us that the zero is the third cell after purple.. Short version. There is no way to remove the commas when you export as csv, or else it would no longer function as a "comma separated values" formatted file.. If you remove the commas then you only have a text file with no way for other programs to recognize what data goes in what cells.. If you have further questions or concerns, let me know~ I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not asking to remove all the commas, just the trailing ones so a row never ends with a comma. It's adding a bunch of empty fields to the shorter rows, and that's throwing the program off that I need to load this into. I just need the number of fields in the csv to represent the number of populated fields on the spreadsheet. I don't think you understand the business case. Is there anyone else that might know Google Sheets or scripting, otherwise I'll just ask for a refund.
I understand how the function works. Ive explained how the function works. This has always been the case with google sheets and many other spreadsheet programs. If you dont want commas, export in tsv instead of csv Other wise, your going to have to convert with powershell or use a different spreadsheet program that will do what you want.
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist