Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I ran Norton Utilities on my other laptop and and did a disk

Customer Question

I ran Norton Utilities on my other laptop and and did a disk scan and repair. Windows 10 system. Now I am in a loop where I just keep getting restarts and cannot complete them process and a blue screen. Help !
Category: Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just waiting, Norton Utilities 16 fyi
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.how many times did you try to reboot and its running in loop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many times. Right now the screen is blue, it says "Automatic Repair" Your PC did not start correctly. There are two buttons, restart or Advanced options that I can click, I have tried both cannot figure out anything that gets me out of the "loop"
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Click on the advanced option and let me know what do you see next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you get to it? It is not this one. The options I see are either 1]Continue, exit and continue to Windows 10. I have tried that and the loop keeps happening 2]Troubleshoot, reset your PC or see advanced options, 3} Turn off your PC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also says " CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" sometimes
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Looks like its stun in inifnity boot loop.you will see the power icon on the desktop do you get one if yesclick on it and then you will get 3 option shutdown restart and sleep when you see these options press and hold down the shift key while holding it down click on restart option. Once it restart you will see windows advance options.I hope you have backed up your data on an external drive before you upgraded to windows 10.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no power icon it is a bluescreen showing those options I named
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Select reset your pc option and let it reset using the do not make any changes to the files and apps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK did that waiting to see what happens
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a problem resetting your PC message. No Changes were made.Can you access it remotely? Keep getting that message above you know
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
if you can get the chat opened on the problem computer i can access it via remote.Open your email on the problem computer. Remote assistance is an additional service just for your knowledge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get anything to open up only various bluescreen displays no matter what it seems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything in "Advanced Options" that can work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you with me?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
This is a desktop or a laptop computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michelle, it is a laptop like I stated initially. Windows 10. Norton Utilities 16 is what I ran, it got me into this mess. I scanned the disk and had selected repair as well on the options. It ran, and I arrived at this problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get it to do anything but my mouse works and I can click on various options. I cannot see anywhere that I can make it do anything that has any result.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a different laptop to chat with you, my work laptop. The other one is right here with me, it is the one I need to fix not this one
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
dont worry i know this is bit complicated but we will get it fixed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
hold down the shift key while you hit the power button let the computer shut down and reboot you must get the windows advance options let me know once you are there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope so thank you. I have clicked into advanced options and there is a startup repair option, that seems to be the issue.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
what all options you get in there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System restore
System Image Recovery
Startup Repair
Command Prompt
Go back to Previous BuildSo 6 options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am running out of time do deal with this right now Michelle. any good ideas for me?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
select system restore and choose a back date when the computer was working fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I tried that but for whatever reason I get a box that says I have to enable system protection on the drive to be able to restore ---so I cannot do anything about enabling anything the way it looks to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get into command prompts !! But I have no idea how to do anything in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it shows: X:\windows\system32>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we make the darn thing do anything productive here?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i am checking possibilities. Do you have a backup of your data on an external drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes on a flashdrive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go soon, bedtime I get up at 4 AM. is there a way I can command it to do anything that would be useful and quick?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
turn off laptop and remove batteryunplug power adapter cordkeep the ON button on computer pressed for 10 secswait for 2 mins and then plug in power cord and battery and turn oncheck if there is any difference or notlet me know how it goes and i will suggest further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK in process of waiting the 2 mins.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I turned it back on, the Norton program is still doing the same thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So we have gotten nowhere so far. I really have to quit unless you know how to have me do command prompts to get things rolling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there ?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
do you want to continue now or you may suggest me a time tomorrow.your time during the evening will be fine with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just think I need to execute some command prompts to make it do something, it is in a Norton Disk Doctor loop that seems neverending
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is this? CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ??
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Try to get into the safe mode and remove Norton.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HOW?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Shut down the computer wait for 2 mins power on and hold the shift key.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
once you are in windows screen Open the Settings menu and go to Update & security > Recovery > Advanced startup. Clicking Advanced startup will restart your PC in recovery mode.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know once you are there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the Norton kicks in, no Safe Mode... I will have to leave now. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
goodbye Michelle. Thank you for trying
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
not a problem we can continue tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if I can spare the time so I just need to sign off.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
alright.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks again !
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.