Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years in operations at a large law firm supporting both retail and specialty applications.
13274453

REF: HP Laptop Windows 7 64 bit. Windows I keep getting error

Customer Question

REF: HP Laptop Windows 7 64 bit. Windows
I keep getting error code The instruction at 0xfb8c584d reference memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program. I've tried using the Windows 7 disk to do a repair and I get the same error code. I tried just starting the computer and going back to a much earlier restore point and I get the same error.
What is the solution?
Category: Software
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. When you started the computer and went back to an earlier restore point.. Did you boot into safe mode? Also, at what exact point do you get the error? and whats the full name brand and model of the HP laptop.. Thank you! Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin:Good Evening. I did not boot into safe mode. How do I do that from a straight start up mode.
The laptop is a HP dv2550se
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I start the computer the screen shows the Windows is starting mode and the pulsing Microsoft symbol. Then I get a black screen that's windows error
Windows failed to start launch start up repair recommended
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I remembered that hitting F8 gets me to a screen that allows me to select safemode. When I do that it shows Windows files loading. Then I get the same black screen Windows error
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** or restart the laptop and as soon as you see the HP logo start tapping the F11 key.This should launch HP Recovery Manager.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
On the Welcome to Recovery Manager screen, click Next.On the Microsoft System Restore screen, select No, and then click Next.On the System Recovery screen, select Yes, and then click Next to continue the recovery process.The Recovery Manager gives you the option of backing up your data files. To do so, read Backing up your files.To continue recovery, select No, and then click Next.A recovery progress screen opens. Wait while files are restored.When System Recovery is complete, click Finish.The computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup. Then, turn off the computer, reconnect all peripheral devices, and turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I gave that a try. It immediately took me to the black windows error screen saying windows failed to launch.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
What version of Windows originally came on the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows XP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has windows 7 for the last few years
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to boot from your Windows 7 disk? Put it in the machine and then shut it down.Start it back up and start tapping the Esc key when the HP logo comes up.It should give you a startup menu that will allow you to select the DVD drive to boot from.If it does boot from the disk you'll see a message on the screen telling you to hit anykey to boot from disk, hit the spacebar when you see that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done that and it give me option to install windows or repait
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Do the repair first.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
On the recovery menu select Startup Repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and it starts the repair, then I get that error code 0xfb49584d. And 0x00000008
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried googling the codes and get nothing
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Boot from the disk again and go to the repair menu and select Command Prompt.At the prompt type: chkdsk /f /r c: and press Enter.If you get a message the drive is busy and asked if you want to run chkdsk at the next restarttype Y for yes and restart the computer.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Is chkdsk running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's attempting to repair
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
OK. Let me know the result please.How old is the hard drive in the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just stopped Starup repair can not automatically repair this computer. Send info to Microsoft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also tab to view problems
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Anything useful there?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
When you get a message about not being able to access memory it's referring to accessing dataon the hard drive. If this is an old (more than a few years) hard drive, sectors on the platter start to fail withage and lose their ability to hold data. Any data on a sector that goes bad becomes corrupted and when Windows tries to access it you get those messages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard drive one year old.
Problem Signatures:
1 6.1.7600.16385
2. 6.1.7600.16385
3 unknown
4 21198851
5 AutoFailover
6 2
7 NoRootCause
OS Version 6.17600.2.0.0.256.1
Local ID 1033
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Run chkdsk if it will let you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran chkdsk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows has check the file system and found no errors
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
That was too fast. Did you type: chkdsk /f /r c:it should take at least 30 minutes for it to finish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just looked back and that's what I typed. There's a space between the R and c: right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I run it again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just ran it again370496 USN bytes processed240 files processed
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
yes. there is a space between r and cand between k and /fand a space between /f and /r
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just ran it again a got the same answer
Windows has checked file system and found no problems
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Got any data on the drive you need?None of the Windows repair options have had any affect.The last option is to reload Windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aghhh! No way to get documents off the drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where you able to see screen shot of clocks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check disk
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen any screen shots attached here.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
You should see an Add Files button on your screen that will allow you to attach screenshotsor a toolbar with a paper clip icon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how to take pull the memory chips out of the laptop and reseat them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me get my small screw drivers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took memory sticks out and reseated them.
Restarted computer same error message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's error screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how you could send info about problem to Microsoft if windows doesn't start?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. If you want to recover files from the hard drive you'll need to remove it from the laptop and connectit to another computer and temporarily copy them off the drive. You'll need an adapter like thisbit.ly/1TWOnrd to connect it to the other PC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I don't understand. Is if the hard drive is gone. When I go to System restore tab it shows a number of restore points the last one was 3/24/2016 Windows a update
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oldest Mar 5, 2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have one of those adapters
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
OK. Use that to recover the files.I'm not saying the hard drive is gone. Windows is corrupted and can't repair itself using the tools.System restore isn't doing it and chkdsk isn't finding anything wrong with the file system.You can reinstall Windows on top of itself and it should put your files in the root of the harddrive in a folder called Windows.old.I just don't feel comfortable telling people to do that just in case something happens andtheir files are lost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I try a restore point first. If that doesn't work, then maybe try to remove files I need and then reload Windows
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Do the latest restore point first and work your way back in time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried for restore point keep getting the same error message as before
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Then copy your files off the drive and re-install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll have to do on Sat. Thank you for the help. I'll let you know how that goes.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I'll be online this weekend. If you need anything just send a reply here andI'll be in touch.