flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I am using Sage 50 in Canada / Sage Act Pro 2011 in USA. I

Customer Question

I am using Sage 50 in Canada / Sage Act Pro 2011 in USA. I want to set it up to work with Eudora 7.1.0.9. Am running Windows 7. Was switching one Eudora personality to IMAP. Had problems, sent off a question and while I was waiting for an answer started to work on getting Sage connect with Eudora. Had problems with that, and did some research. Found that Sage can’t work with IMAP. My question: is this true??
If it’s true I don’t need to pursue getting IMAP to work in Eudora…
But still need to figure out how to get Sage to work with Eudora. The error message I get is:
The email message cannot be created because the default e-mail account is not ready.I have one personality set up as POP, so if POP is needed - I have one, just need to know how to set it up as the default email account.
HELP!
Category: Software
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

You can use IMAP or POP3 with Eudora. May I remote into your system and set this up for you?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to solve this without having to pay extra for it. I'm sure if you can tell me, I can do.
I know you should be able to use both with Eudora, am having problems with IMAP with Eudora... but that's a seperate issue. I need to know about: how to set up Eudora with Sage and most importantly, as I asked, can Sage work with IMAP? I read it can not.

I would first have to explain to you how to analyze your system, check some things, etc, etc, etc. If you don't wish to do the remote, I will go ahead and opt out, allowing another to help you. Is that your wish?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to do it myself. I am pretty computer savy. Is the reason you are passing me onto someone else, because you don't feel you can explain? or you don't know sage? I guess I really need someone who knows sage AND Eudora...

It would not be time efficient for me to take a couple hours of our time to fix a problem instead of just remoting in and fixing it in a matter of a few minutes.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

I dont think the problem is IMAP that would be transparent to the sage program.

the problem is MAPI that is the transport service between different programs and an email program. The service that allows another program to open the email program create an email and attach something to it.

Eudora is very old and has never been updated to modern standards and it never will be. That means that it has problems setting itself as the default email handler ( the problem is with sage opening the default mail client {eudora} rather than eudora opening the default email personality)

And it has problems with other programs interfacing with it through its mapi dll's. eudora has its own mapi files and they dont match any modern version of windows which puts its own in.

My best professional advice is to switch to another email program. You will save yourself a ton of work to maybe get it to work now and even more headaches in the future because it will only get worse. These are not the only problems that eudora has running on modern computers.

That being said, if you want to play with it this post might give you some ideas on what is needed.

http://superuser.com/questions/68579/adding-eudora-to-windows-7-default-application-list