Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a PC that's acting weirdly and I'm not sure…

Customer Question
Hi,I have a PC that's...
Hi,I have a PC that's acting weirdly and I'm not sure what to do. It intermittently freezes, fails to boot, and gets BSODs. Programs fail in strange and surprising ways. It can work fine for hours and then crash every time I start it several times in a row.This is an HP custom PC that cost over $800 and is about a year and a half old. It has an Intel I7-4770 CPU, NVidia GeForce GT720 graphics card, 12 GB DDR3 memory, 3TB SATA drive, and came with Win 7. I bought it to do photo processing and so haven't installed many applications on it.
This started about 2 weeks ago. Since then I've scanned with ESET AV, reinstalled Win7, ran 8 hours of BIOS hardware tests, upgraded from Win7 to Win10, and tried other things. No problems were found or errors reported. I'm not a novice so I think I've done the obvious things to diagnose this problem. I'm not sure what to do next.I need an expert who is experienced diagnosing really tough problems that may be either hardware or software related. If you can help me don't reply with suggestions until I tell you more about the symptoms and the steps I've taken so far.Thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
3/5/2016
Software technician: yourteqrepair, Computer Systems Analyst replied 2 years ago
yourteqrepair
yourteqrepair, Computer Systems Analyst

Hi Mike, I will try and assist you with your random crashing you are having. You say you are getting BSOD's. Can you provide the information on the BSOD screen. Specifically the last line when it give you a long string with numbers and letters, with comma's between the sets. Thanks

Hi,First, here are some other things I've tried:
* Originally I tried reverting to the most recent restore point from two days before the problems started. When I did it failed immediately saying that the restore point was corrupted, and when I tried system restore again there were no restore points shown.
* Once when I booted Windows offered to repair the boot problems, and it tried, but the problems continued.
* I booted into the BIOS and tested the CPU, memory, display, and hard disk, and all was well.
* Chkdsk found no problems.
* I checked the line voltage, blew out dust in the case (there was very little), plugged the PC directly into the outlet instead of the power strip, and turned off a brand new printer I just bought that sits a few feet away. Nothing helped.
* I ran System Recovery to restore the PC to it's factory state. Previously I've had problems with Win7 System Restore failing on other systems too, so for that reason and since I had been thinking about going to Win10 on this PC I upgraded to Win10.Re the BSOD, Win10 has a much more user friendly BSOD that unlike previous windows versions doesn't include a lot of information. Are you thinking about the old screens or the new one? The new BSOD just says "Your PC has run into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you. If you'd like to know more, you can search online for this error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION". That's it: there's no other information.I've mostly gotten BSODs with the error DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION so I researched that and replaced the HD driver that was supposed to fix it, but that didn't help. Once I got a BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD that I didn't investigate.Mike

Here is a link at a site i found with the bsod error you have given. Have you tried it yet? Also have you updated the firmware on the hard drive if there is one available?http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dpc_watchdog_violation-blue-screen-in-windows-10

Hi,The link you provided is the one I found. I installed the driver & it didn't help. I even did it a second time, & made sure that the driver displayed as it should, but no go.This morning the LAN/internet connection stopped working:
* Checking for connection problems finds LAN adapter & driver problems that can't be corrected. Specifically "There might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network connection adapter" and "There might be a problem with the driver for the local area connection adapter". When I try repairing it the repair fails.
* Normally I use wired LAN access, so I tried WiFi. It says it connects (offering me a button to disconnect), and afterwards displays "No Internet, secured". However LAN & Internet still doesn't work.
* I switched the LAN cable and used a different switch port to no avail.
* When I go to Network Connections it shows both the wired & wireless adapters as connected & working. When I go to the Network and Sharing Center and try troubleshooting I get the same repair screens I already saw.
* When I try Setup a New Connection or Network none of the choices apply. Connect to the Internet only offers an option to use PPPoE for DSL or a cable box that requires a username or password (I have FiOS & my own WiFi AP & router for the house). The other choices are for other unrelated things.
* I ran the Device Manager and looked at the network adapters. There are 12 shown. I don't know which is which, but none are listed as not working.
* I ran ipconfig from the command prompt: it only lists the Bluetooth connection ( as disconnected). There's no wired or wireless connection shown at all.
* Other devices on my LAN and WiFi can access the internet & LAN with no problems.Any thoughts?

In device manager delete all network connection. When it ask to delete driver files. Make sure you check the box so it deletes drivers. Restart computer and see if device manager shows a couple devices as not installed. Try and reinstall the drivers for each item yhat doesnt have a driver installed. Did you see if there was a hard drive update? Also when you installed windows 10. Was it a clean install or an windows 7 upgrade to windows 10?

Hi,I uninstalled & deleted the drivers for these:
* RealTec PCIe GBE Family controller.
* Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn WiFi adapter.
* Wan Miniport (8 items)
* Bluetooth (2 items)I rebooted. After the reboot the RealTec NIC, Broadcom WiFi, & 2 Bluetooth drivers were back and apparently healthy. The Wan Miniports are not listed at all.Scan for changes for the Network Adapters finds nothing.Search for driver updates for each device finds nothing new.Control Panel Network Connections shows 3 items: Bluetooth, Ethernet, & WiFi. Ethernet is marked as connected, the other 2 not./Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center, Set up a new connection or network: Shows same choices as before, none of which are appropriate.Not sure what you're asking re the hard drive, but I didn't see anything HD related.What I did originally was reinstall Win7 using the boot/F8/System Recovery option. I didn't install the huge number of Win7 updates that I could have. I then used the Win10 upgrade tool to go to Win10 immediately.I'm thinking that might have been a mistake: further research on the HP web site for this PC says I should have updated all drivers first. This could explain both my original BSOD problems & the networking problems I'm having now.If I need to I could go back and start from scratch again, but it would be nice if I could get networking working and then upgrade any other drivers needed so I didn't have to take that time.Any other ideas on how to get networking back, or do I need to go back to Win7 System Recovery again, or should I be doing something else?Thanks,
Hi,I found drivers for this specific desktop at http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-700-200-desktop-pc-series/5399651/model/6667346#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2. However there are no wan mini-port drivers listed.I ran HP Support Assistant/HP Network Check. It found errors with both adapters. The error was "Windows did not automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter." It tried to fix the errors but it failed.Mike
Hi,In Device Manger/View I checked Show hidden devices. The missing devices appeared.I updated the driver for each one. For each it said the proper driver is already installed.Mike
Hi,If you have anything else for me please let me know. If not I'll do a System Recovery, upgrade the drivers, install Win10, and see how that works.Mike