caraleneK
caraleneK, Software Engineer
Experience:  You one stop software Engineer
75835320

I have forgotten my administrators password

Customer Question

Category: Software
Expert:  Harold Hanna replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what type of computer did you forget this password *****? And which password ***** ***** specifically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MacOsx

OK I will opt out and let someone with more Mac experience take this, it will show up quickly and they will see this conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
administrators password
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Restart your computer; press the Command and R keys at the same time when the grey screen appears and hold them until you see the Apple logo.

Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar, select Terminal, type resetpassword and press Enter. Close out the Terminal window and behind it you will find the Reset Password *****. Select the user account you want to reset, enter a new password ***** leave it blank and click Save.

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question today

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you.

• Restart the Mac holding down the Command+S keys, this will take you into Single User Mode and it’s Terminal interface

• You’ll need to check the filesystem first:

fsck -fy

• Next, you must mount the root drive as writeable so that changes will save:

mount -uw /

• Now, type the following command exactly, followed by the enter key:

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone ( :/ root# ***** /var/db//.applesetupdone )

• After removing the applesetupdone file, you need to reboot, type ‘reboot’ and hit enter

• Upon reboot, you will be presented with the traditional “Welcome Wizard” startup screen just like when you first get a Mac

• Follow the welcome wizard and create a new user account – making the account name different from the account whose password ***** want to recover

• Continue on and boot into Mac OS X with this newly created user account, this new user account is an Administrator and has administrative access

• Know you can Reset the Forgot Password ***** System Preferences please let me know if you need help with this

Waiting your feedback

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello again

Please let me know if you need more help I waiting for your feedback to help you fix you problem or a rating

Regards