Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I need to update the software on my desktop Mac so that I…

Customer Question
I need to update the...
I need to update the software on my desktop Mac so that I can pair my mouse - but can't navigate to do so without a mouse
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
2/25/2016
Software technician: Shefin, Software Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Shefin, Software Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Enable Mouse keys using the instructions in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/guides/keyboard_mouse/computer/mac/os_x/

Then, try using the mouse keys to update and control the computer. You can get instructions from the same link I have given.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

I can't do that because I can't navigate to type that url in.

Can you access this reply on any other computer or iPad?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Please go to the link on your iPad and follow the instructions on your computer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

I have the instructions pulled up on my laptop. I am in Finder but I can not get to the apple icon on the menu bar. Ctrl + f2 does not work. I can only seem to cycle through the files on my desktop

First of all, to toggle the Full Keyboard Access, hit Control-F1 on your keyboard. You may need to also hit the Fn key if you have your function keys set up to use the Mac controls for brightness and media.

Once Full Keyboard Access is toggled on, you can then hit Control-F2 to move the focus to the menu bar.

Then, follow the instructions in the link I have given.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Nothing happens.

Try this.

To quickly turn Mouse Keys on or off, press Option-Command-F5, then select or deselect the Enable Mouse Keys checkbox.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Nothing.

Restart the computer and try again.

• Ctrl + F2 to go to the Apple menu
  • Arrow keys and Return to choose an item from a pull down menu
  • Ctrl + F7 to cycle through the sections of a window
  • Tab to cycle through the controls in a section, and Space to use the highlighted button or checkbox.

Or http://www.nhs.uk/accessibilityhelp/Using-the-keyboard-to-control-the-mouse-in-OSX.html

Thank you.

S H E F I N

I unplugged and restarted the computer, and that doesn't work.
When I did turn it back on and the first screen gives me the option of typing the password ***** either of the two users, there is an option below those fields to restart the computer- but I am not able to navigate to that

To turn on Full Keyboard Access, check the All controls radio button in the Keyboard Shortcuts section or just press Control + F7 to swap between each mode. On newer Mac keyboards you may need to use Fn + Control + F7 instead.

This allows the Tab key to be used to switch between all of a dialog box’s controls.

Connect the mouse and check if you are able to use it.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

That doesn't work

Watch the video below and check if you are able to do anything.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

I don't see a link to a video?

Are you still not able to use the mouse? Watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkd7kofJbh0

Thank you.

S H E F I N

I still can't use the mouse. So, while I can watch the video on another device, I can't enable the keyboard shortcuts on the desktop because I can't use the mouse to navigate on the screen.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will open the question for other experts.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Software technician: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, my name is ***** ***** Id like to assist you.

It looks like youve been trying the proper steps, but I know sometimes you just cant get the keyboard controls to function properly. A simple and inexpensive solution is to order a corded mac mouse.

http://amzn.to/1Rlz4q3

This is a temporary solution which will allow you to access your screen, download what you need, and make any software changes needed. And also, its always good to have a corded mouse around as a backup in case anything goes wrong with your bluetooth or wireless mouse / keyboard.

This will definitely allow you to get your mac running again, as a usb mouse wont require you to install anything.. Simply plug it in.. restart your mac, and youll be ready to go.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.