Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Is it ok to load windows 10 update on my computer, if so,

Customer Question
should I pay the $20...
is it ok to load windows 10 update on my computer, if so, should I pay the $20 for driver updates & cleaner optimizer
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
2/24/2016
Software technician: Byron, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

In general, it is just fine to upgrade Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10.

If you have a computer that originally came with Windows XP or Vista and was upgraded to Windows 7

it would be wise to check on the manufacturer's website for compatibility as there may be hardware

issues. Drivers are something that cost no money and can be downloaded for free from the

manufacturer's website. I don't recommend optimizer programs as they can cause more problems than they cure. There are plenty of free programs out there that do the same thing and actually work.

On my machines I use CCleaner to optimize the machine:

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

and Malwarebytes Anti-malware

https://www.malwarebytes.org/dl-confirm/

and Avast Anti-virus from here: https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

All of these programs are free.

Please take a moment before leaving to rate the service using the stars

at the top of the page, then submit and have a great day.

I have windows 8 and I clicked on the update to windows 10 but don't know if it took cuz it asked me to pay $20 for the driver updates and optimizer so how can I find out if it changed to windows 10

Hi. I'm not sure what you clicked on but Microsoft would never put up some $20 sales pitch.

To determine which version of Windows you have, hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the Alt key) and

press X. From the menu that opens select System. It'll tell you at the top of the page what version of Windows

is installed. This is the official upgrade site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you're ready click Upgrade Now. Unplug any external storage devices from the computer first.