Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am trying to export all of the meetings on a shared public…

Customer Question
Hello - I am...

Hello - I am trying to export all of the meetings on a shared public Outlook into Excel and cannot seem to get this to work. Any recommendations on how to do this?

Technician's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

We use Outlook for booking conference room reservations. I was hoping to import reserved meetings into Excel so that I can manipulate the data to show utilization by group, name, time, etc.

Technician's Assistant: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
recurring meetings seem be excluded when I sort the list in excel?
2/19/2016
Software technician: GeekGal, Software Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Software Support Specialist

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this May I ask what version of Outlook you are using and what version of Excel?

Hello - I believe it is 2013 for both.

I am providing detailed instructions for a method that does not involve exporting but rather cutting and pasting. It will work with any version of Microsoft Office. Please give this method a try and let me know if it works for you and includes the recurring meetings.

Create a view that contains the fields you need, then copy the rows and paste into any application that accepts paste. Some applications, like Word, require Paste Special, As Text to remove OLE formatting. Otherwise, you'll paste Outlook items, not rows of text.

1. Switch to a list view, if not already using a list view.
  2. Right click on the row of field names and choose Field Chooser.
  3. Drag the fields you need to copy to the row of field names.
  4. Drag the fields you don't need off of the row of field names.
  5. Begin by selecting the text. Hold Ctrl as you scroll down or use the PgDown or End key to select the items faster.
  6. Press Ctrl+C to copy the selection.
  7. Go to Excel and paste (Ctrl+V)

Use Format Columns to change the format of the date or number fields. To open the format columns dialog, right click on the row of field names and choose View Settings, Format Columns

You can paste into any application that accepts paste, however if you paste in Word, you need to use Paste Special, As Text.

If this information is helpful to you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If this solution doesn't work for you, or if you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Well, this worked somewhat. When I paste into Excel and split the data to do a YTD tall of meetings, it doesn't come close to the count by doing a physical count on the calendar.

OK. Thank you for that information. Did the recurring meetings show up? If so, we can continue working on this. If not, we'll go back to a traditional export.

they do. I think the challenge might be in manipulating the data. I am trying to get a YTD tally of meetings and I am running into issues (I think with the recurring meetings) as I try to filter by date.

That could very well be the issue. How is the date formatted for the the recurring meetings in the Outlook calendar?

Some have a start date as early as 2014: Mon 7/14/2014. I am doing text to columns in Excel to isolate anything that has an recurring end range prior to 2016. Would that help?

Yes, that should help. However, it may be easier to manipulate your view before you do the cut and paste. You should be able to create a calendar view that shows only this years meetings.

How, please?

To modify the view of your calendar, open your calendar and then click on the View tab of the Ribbon. Next, choose Change View and select List to create a tabular arrangement of all the data in your calendar. With that View open, click View Settings near the far left side of the View tab of the Ribbon and choose Filter. On the Advanced tab of the Filter dialog box, click the drop-down arrow next to Field and choose Frequently Used Fields, followed by Start. For your Start filter, set that equal to one of the fiscal periods you wish to define – say January 1 for Period 1. Repeat the process by adding an End date to your filter – say February 4 for Period 1.

After clicking OK, return to View Settings and note that you can customize many other options, including formatting, the columns that appear in the table, etc. Once you have finished filtering and customizing, click the Change View icon on the View tab of the Ribbon and choose Save Current View as New View with a name similar to “Period 1.” Saving this view saves these settings so you will not have to establish them again for the same period. Of course, repeat the process above for as many fiscal periods as you wish to define and, upon doing so, you will be able to see all of your calendar entries for a given fiscal period just by selecting the desired view from View Settings.

I was able to do this but the count is still off by 70+ meetings.

I feel certain that it has to do with the date format of the recurring meetings. Could you try doing the cut and paste method separately (into 2 different sheets) for the one-time meetings and the recurring meetings and let me know the results.

It is still the same result.

OK. I apologize but I am out of ideas. I will "opt out" and see if someone else can help.

Thank you. I am completely stumped as to why some of the meetings are not captured. Very odd.
Software technician: Gary Jensen,
 replied 2 years ago
Gary Jensen

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to assist you. I am reviewing everything that Alison tried with you and will respond with more information shortly.

Hello - It appears that weekly and daily meetings are not fully captured in the list view. Multiple occurrences of daily meetings, weekly meetings, twice weekly meetings etc. are not captured. Is there a way in the View settings to account for this?

I believe that a phone call would be the fastest and easiest way to resolve your issue and I have offered a phone call as an Additional Service. This is optional, and if you choose not to do this, I can try to find a way to help you here.

Hello - I am noticing the daily and weekly meetings only appear on the list once. Is there anyway to simply list what is shown on the calendar for a given period of time regardless of occurrence?
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist