Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I use a window 10 laptop as I have upgraded but I can't…

Customer Question
I use a window 10...
I use a window 10 laptop as I have upgraded but I can't install the dosbox(QBASIC) which I am currently practising.
Here is what you told me to use at the programme file x86 under dosbox option
[autoexec]
# ***** in this section will be run at startup.
# ***** can put your MOUNT lines here.
MOUNT C C:\QBASIC
C:QB
However after saving, it is not working as it me DRIVE C DOES NOT EXIST, YOU MUST MOUNT IT FIRST.
THANKS
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
2/17/2016
Software technician: Michael Hannigan, IT Expert replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

Once DOSBox is installed, you can actually run a DOS program just by dragging the file and dropping it on the DOSBox icon. So you shouldn't have to do everything manually.

So dragging QBasic to the DOSBox icon should do it. But if you still have difficulty, let me know and I will help you do it with the manual steps.

I don't get you? I was once using a windows 8.1 but I just upgraded to a windows 10 and I informed you that the previous programmer(MIRO) told me to complete a code from programme file (x86)
[autoexec]
# ***** can put your MOUNT lines here.
MOUNT CC:\QBASIC
C:QB
it worked when I tried it after downloading DOSboX

DOSBox and QBASIC are two different things. I'm assuming you were using DOSBox so that you could run QBASIC under Windows.

The command you are running will mount your physical directory c:\QBASIC to the DOSBox c drive. There should be a space between C and C.

Dear *****,
Sorry I did not copy exactly what I saw. Yes there is a space and I saved it in the notepda of programme x86. Anytime I double click dosbox icon on the desktop, it opens but it tells me DRIVE C DOES NOT EXIST, YOU MUST MOUNT IT FIRST
Please note, I use a window 10 laptop which was upgraded from windows 8.1.
Thanks
Kind regards,
Chibs
[autoexec]
# ***** can put your MOUNT lines here.
MOUNT C C:\QBASIC
C:QB

Do you also have a directory on c: called Qbasic? That is what your command is trying to mount. The physical directory must still exist to mount it - check to make sure c:\QBASIC is still there. If not, you will have to either create it, or change the mount command to mount the directory where QBASIC now resides.

I apologize, but I am giving answers that should be productive if you take the time to read them carefully. Please go back and read starting at my first reply. I'm sure if you do that, you will understand what is happening.

You have mentioned TWO things. DOSBox and QBasic. From what I gather, you use DOSBox to Run QBasic on Windows. Meaning you are running DOSBox, which creates a virtual "old" machine that QBasic will run on.

To do that, just like before, you need TWO things. You need DOSBox and you need QBasic. When you start DOSBox, you must give that virtual machine a c drive. In the past you have apparently done that by "mounting" the folder c: \qBasic as the virtual machine C drive. Then, inside of that DOSBox virtual machine, when you go to the C drive, you are actually in c: QBasic. According to your screen shot, you no longer have that QBasic folder. Please understand that I have no way of knowing exactly what you had set up originally. You were running a configuratuon of two separate pieces of software -, you appear to be missing one of those now and you need to put it back. What you are missing is what you used to have under c:\qbasic - once you find that from your old computer and put it back, you will be fine.

Hopefully you find that answer to be "productive". I have explained it in the most extraordinary, yet simple way that I know how.

thanks for your patience!! Will try it and get back to you ASAP!!!

Ok. Let me know how you make out. I offered remote control as an additional service in case you need that, but it is optional.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert