Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am interested in having a child theme created wordpress…

Customer Question
I am interested in having...
I am interested in having a child theme created for my wordpress website. I have tried to follow step by step instructions to accomplish this but it doesn't seem to work.
I have made many changes to my theme files and plugin files that are mostly cosmetic and I want to be able to update everything without losing any of the changes that I made.
Thank you for your time
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
2/5/2016
Software technician: Michael Hannigan, IT Expert replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the Software category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

What is the theme you are using and what are the changes you would like to make with a child theme?

You mentioned making changes to the theme - are these changes that you have made to the main theme?

The theme I am using is Vantage Premium.I have made many different changes already to not only my theme but my plugins as well. I have documented them in a semi organized way so I know what additions I made to each file. Most of them are cosmetic such as changing the spacing, color, border, etc.I am afraid because I would like to upgrade my theme and plugins so that they are up to date but I have made so many changes that I do not want to lose. The main plugin I am concerned about is WooCommerce. I have read that if I create a child theme, that I can make future updates but it will not change any of the additional codes i've added on various files. It's a bit hard for me to explain because I am still new to coding and css. If I didn't answer your question correctly or you are still confused, please don't hesitate to ask more questions.Thank you

How did you make the changes? Did you make them directly in the theme template files? If so, those changes are the ones that would be overwritten on an upgrade. So if that's the case, hold off on any upgrades until we get.this sorted out.

The changes I made are all over. Some of them are made directly in the theme files such as content-page.php, header.php, style.css, etc. I also did the same thing for individual plugins.Here is a couple screenshots of my notes. A bit hard to understand since I wrote them for myself but it basically was to tell me what things I did so I knew if I ever lost them.Screenshot 1 (Theme Style.css): Shows an edit that I made to my CSS. "Find" refers to finding the original text, "replace" refers to what I changed it to.
Link: https://gyazo.com/6a438cd612beb24cd00aeca8d2223a55Screenshot 2 (JQuery Accordion Menu Plugin): Shows an edit that I made to that specific plugin that resized the width and changed the colors.
Link: https://gyazo.com/489d99464e0da1b8a5164944dad50dcaLastly, Here is a link that explains the reasoning probably better than I can. From my understanding, a child theme will allow me to make updates to a parent theme while referring the style sheets to the child theme.http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/wordpress-child-theme-pros-cons/Thanks again for your time and help.

Yes, that is correct. The changes can be done in the child theme. So, here are the things that need to be done.

We need to identify all changes made.

Migrate those changes to a child theme.

BUT, from what I see here, you were AWESOME in documenting the changes you made. And although you may have changed a thousand lines of code, we know exactly how to back those out AND we know what code you need to get the results you want.

Same with the plugin. That may be a little more difficult to deal with, but a customized plugin is manageable. Sometimes it is also necessary. We can look into that specific plugin to see if it has hooks into the theme and if we can change it externally. Again, we know exactly what you changed, which is most of the battle.

Are these the only two major changes that you made? If so, you are in much, much better shape than I thought from reading your original question.

Re-reading things... it sounds like you made other changes. But if your documentation is as good as these two, it's more work, but it is doable. The most difficult thing in the whole process is knowing what changed because anything we don't know about will break. If you have notes about everything that changed, we can prevent it from breaking.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, IT Expert