Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I already own WinZip with Command Line functionality. Do you…

Customer Question
I already own WinZip with...
I already own WinZip with Command Line functionality.Do you know off-hand whether WinZip can split a file into pieces like*.001.Zip*.002.Zipwhere when you Unzip the lead file, that it will walk though the others and result in a final single file which is the original file prior to Zipping/Breaking?Example:can it transform file aaa.CSV into
- aaa.001
- aaa.002
- .....
- aaa.050
- aaa.zipOr whatever naming convention...
and you have to unzip the "aaa.zip" file in order to get the aaa.CSV file?Note1: I need it to be in a *.Zip final format and not their self-extracting *.EXE format.Note2: Prior answer from Tim on JustAnswer.com suggested WinRar, however I already own WinZip.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
2/2/2016
Software technician: Gary Jensen,
 replied 2 years ago
Gary Jensen

Yes, you can! Rather than type the instructions over again, I am going to give you a couple of web pages with instructions on how to do it.

http://kb.winzip.com/help/help_splitdlg.htm

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/255

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/86/

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/83/

The first of the links seems to be the most straight-forward. The others are for reference purposes.

Here is a Youtube video describing how to do it (if you can stand the music ^_^ ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02QLUh_9zM

Please let me know if you need further assistance and I will be happy to keep working with you.

Cheers,

Gary

Software technician: Gary Jensen,
 replied 2 years ago

I just noticed you mentioned your version of WinZip has command line functionality. Does that also mean it has no GUI interface? Can you please give me the version of WinZip you are using?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, Thank you and sorry for the delay getting back to you. I have WinZip version 19 Pro and figured if we can make it work using it first, then hopefully we can make it work with the command line version later.I read the first link (thank you) and I'm able to now split (into 10 MB segments or smaller) and select to encrypt the file, however I can't figure out how to password ***** the file.I would like to first see if WinZip can achieve because we have many licenses of WinZip, but if we can't achieve, then Tim Coons (I believe) with JustAnswer.com recommended WinRar (I believe but I would need to double check his answer to be certain) to achieve the goals. I'll check that out if WinZip can't, but I would be surprised if WinZip couldn't password ***** an AES encrypted file while splitting it into smaller pieces for easier distribution, but we'll see.Thanks for your help and please let me know if you have any other thoughts / suggestions on how we can achieve.
Software technician: Gary Jensen,
 replied 2 years ago

WinZip can encrypt files using the AES standard. I am including a link to the knowledge base article that describes the process. I haven't found any specifics about spanning and encrypting, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. One suggestion is to encrypt files as you add them to the .zip collection rather than after. Here is the link:

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/78/

Gary

Software technician: Gary Jensen,
 replied 2 years ago

Might I add that you should make copies of your original files and use the copies to zip. This will preserve your originals should WinZip behave differently than expected.

Gary

Thanks Gary.I'm able it seems to now encrypt across the spanned files, but I can't figure out how to set the password. I toggle for a password, but it never prompts me to enter it.Thanks for the link. I tried the instructions there:"Encrypt while creating Zip filesIf you are using WinZip in the Default view:Click the Encrypt toggle in the Actions pane
If you have not already done so, click the Options button that now displays in the Actions pane to set the encryption level
Add files to your new Zip file
Enter a password ***** the Encrypt dialog displays
Save the Zip file"However, I can't reproduce and obtain a prompt for this step:
"Enter a password ***** the Encrypt dialog displays".So, I'm going to upgrade to their latest version (20, I believe) first to see if that solves and can then follow what you found above.Sorry for my delay. I was out most of the day yesterday with clients. I will see if I can try this today.Thanks Much,Richard
Software technician: Gary Jensen,
 replied 2 years ago

I am attaching a youtube video that addresses encryption and entering a password. Can you take a look at it and verify that you are seeing the same windows when trying to create this file? Another thing I would like you to try is to encrypt and password ***** a non-spanned zip file and see if the behavior is the same.

Gary

Gary, Thank you. I've been out for a few days and getting caught up. I'm viewing this on the iPad app and I'm not seeing the the YouTube video attachment, but I will login from my PC this morning in case it's just not viewable on the JustAnswer iOS app.
Software technician: Gary Jensen,
 replied 2 years ago

It looks like the link didn't come through. Sorry about that. I have two different youtube videos. Here they are again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIGNsspLRJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIG4dATjbxA

The first link was the one I sent last time.

Gary

Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen