Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I am trying to upgrade my other computer to Windows 10, the

Customer Question

I am trying to upgrade my other computer to Windows 10, the User Account Control box says to type in an administrative password ***** 1) there is no place to type it and 2) I have no idea what it is.
Category: Software
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

The password ***** it is asking for is the password ***** you use to login to your computer, assuming that you are an administrator. We can try to turn User Account control off for the purposes of updating the computer if you would like. Here are the steps to follow:

• How to Turn User Account Control On/Off in Windows 8

Here's how to turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off in Windows 8:

1. Press Windows Key+X on your keyboard to display the Tools Menu and select Control Panel. Or, right-click the lower left corner of your monitor to display the Tools Menu and select Control Panel.
  2. Type UAC in the search field in the upper right corner of the window.
  3. Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
  4. Then do one of the following:
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify, and click OK.
    • To turn UAC on, drag the slider up to the desired level of security, and click OK.
  5. You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
  6. Reboot your computer for the change to take effect

Please try this and let me know how it goes. If it solves your problem, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not solve my question...there is no place to type in the admin password!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. i will open up your question to other experts so that someone else can try to help. Have a great day!

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with windows 10 upgrade.

Let me know on which screen you are in right now or you can click a photo of the screen and post it here let me analyze the screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...it is not this computer, the box I get is the blue User Account Control Box...it says "to continue type an administrative password ***** click yes"...the only problem is there is no place to type it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other tech gave me the whole list of instructions to disable or change the password, but if there is no place to put in the password ***** how can I disable it?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

not a problem, as its the other computer can you click a picture and post it here let me see the screen then i can suggest you further steps to follow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shot a photo with my phone...I'm emailing it to myself...
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

open the email on this computer and save the file on this comp use the paper clip icon on this chat box to past it here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me save just the photo...it's a jpg, I'm not sure why it's not saving...
working on it...
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjJ-7azi9A8h93LUXA2B4bo6d07EyliHVobdkomlZAAnpqvgJ4R4TukzIspTKYfJe3k5GH4nkLovJSeSm65J69qU1w/messages/@.id==AGkaDUwABrjEVrDjYQBSCIsr0Tw/content/parts/@.id==2/raw?appid=YahooMailNeo&ymreqid=a3cc9d7e-7c15-13da-0187-2b0002010000&token=i7J6C9Q4g-pzdF_2_kPhAYUbJS6KonjnTMf2z1TxsDybk13EpIG4_XOtaDVi97zB_tmbZU_QP6bd5QzJLzvu9w
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hopefully just sent you the link to the photo...I've never had so much difficulty copying and pasting a photo...I apologize
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

didnt work you can upload the picture on the link given below and let me know the download link

http://www.filedropper.com/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is...see below
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

This is user access control screen press the yes button.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

take the mouse on top of yes it will get clicked once you click on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not highlighted...I can press until tomorrow but nothing will happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the "no" button is highlighted and I can click on that. but the "yes" button is dim, un-highlighted, and all the clicking and pressing in the world does not change it.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

press the tab key on the keyboard and see if it gets highlighted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tab key only highlights only "show details" and "no" buttons
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

not a problem press and hold down the power button on the computer for 10 seconds it will shut down and then you check if there is any external device connected to the computer if yes unplug it and wait for 2 mins and power it back on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, powered it off; no external devices connected to it. I'll get back to you in 2 minutes
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned computer back on, went back to user controls, same box, same un-highlighted "yes" button...sigh.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

user access control comes up when you are not logged in as an administrator however reboot and let me know on which screen does it come up. Do you have to select the windows update manually or let me know what screen it comes up with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes up when we want to upgrade the computer to Windows 10, and it comes up with we want to add or remove programs, any time we want to make any kind of change to the computer.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

what is the original windows os it has windows 7 or 8.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

how many user accounts you have on the windows 8 login?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On that computer? Just 1
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

create a new user account and assign administrator rights and then you login to the account after that you run the windows 10 update manually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ummm...how do I create a new user account?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

click on the search box type in user account you will see the icon click on it and then proceed further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to user accounts...my only options there appear to be change your account type and manage another account...both of those take me to that same user account box I sent you where I cannot put in a password
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you must have the option to create an account if you are the admin to the windows 7 computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typed in user accounts where you said, all the options require a password, but there is no place to type it
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

did you try to scroll down the page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But this is Windows 8...I am the administrator but there is no place to put the password!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nowhere to scroll...it just gives me the options at the top of the page
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

on which screen are you right now where you do not get a password ***** enter can you take a picture and post it here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the same photo I sent you a while ago. The very same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It asks for a password ***** does not give me a place to put it. No matter what I do on that computer I get that box.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

user access control?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

can you login to normal windows 8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

once you are in windows screen let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...I'm in Firefox home screen
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i can take a look using remote access. Remote support is an additional service however to check the depth of the problem i will not charge and incase it requires more time and more troubleshooting steps then i can send you the additional service proposal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure...
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

click here for remote assistance

How Remote Desktop Works

1. Agree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.
  2. The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.
  3. Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.
  4. After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree but it is not this computer. How do we do that?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

open the link on the problem computer when you are on the desktop screen open justanswer email and then the link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded it but am not sure how to open it...I am now on the problem computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

are you getting my message on the remote screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I see where you are typing but then there is no message
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you have installed and given me the teamviewer number all you have to do is do not decline click on trustworthy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded teamviewer, the id is 167 528 711 and the password ***** *****
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

allow the connection on teamviewer screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did that
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

do you get a prompt now to allow access?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how did you override the password *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should we restart the download, since it's taking so long?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

michelleclive: are you getting my message on the remote screen?
michelleclive: open firefox and then open www.teamviewer.com and install it.
michelleclive: let me know the id and the password ***** teamviewer i will try to connect alternate remote tool.
michelleclive: http://www.teamviewer.com/hi/
michelleclive: grand the permission if you get one on your screen
michelleclive: are you there?
Guest: yes
Guest: allow control is on
michelleclive: let me check again
michelleclive: allow the connection now
michelleclive: do you get a prompt now to allow access?
michelleclive: now follow the upgrade steps on your screen and let it upgrade to windows 10
Guest: what did you do? I was working on my own computer...
michelleclive: running the upgrade to windows 10 and its downloading now
michelleclive: follow the onscreen steps to upgreade and let me know if you find any problem.
Guest: not seeing your messages
michelleclive: This will take time
Guest: ok
Guest: should it be taking this long?
Guest: did not see your response...
Guest: Are you still in control of this computer?
Guest: I suppose when I see you are writing something that means yes, even though I cannot see your responses
Guest: should we restart the download?
michelleclive: no please do not do that it can crash windows
michelleclive: let it take time this is a long process it might take an hour or may be 2 depening upon the download speed you have.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Guest: Oh! I saw your message! Thanks! I'll let it ride, then. as they say. Thank you!
michelleclive: Thanks

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

michelleclive: still downloading please let it complete and then you can follow the on screen steps to upgrade.
michelleclive: let me know if you find any problem after download.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. The computer has been "downloading" Windows 10 all night, still not complete. Also - the issue I originally paid for has not been resolved...I still get the box saying we need a password, with no place to put it. I seriously do not have time to mess with this today...If it is an unresolvable issue please refund my $36, and I'll look elsewhere for assistance. Thank you.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

You may give it a once more try as this does not take this long to upgrade.

Push and hold down the power button on the computer for 20 seconds it will shut down the computer let it sit for 3 mins and then power it back on it should continue to download and finish the update and should not take more than 30 mins.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. I'll let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

alright.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I restarted the computer but the update download has disappeared and I cannot access anything without the password, and again there is no place to put it. I'm so sorry.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

use the tab key and see if it jumps to the password ***** or not. Is is windows 7 or its on the windows 10 screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still Windows 8, tab doesn't work...same as yesterday, yes button won't highlight
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

do you have a backup of your data on an external drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no...not that much on this computer.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

as per the troubleshooting it seems that the problem is with windows 8 internal files which is preventing us to run the update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the solution? Is there one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that also preventing the update box from showing a place to put the password?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes there is a solution which we can work on. Backup your data on an external drive and then we would perform a factory reset after we get a new copy of windows then we can run the windows 10 update without fail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have to go out and purchase an external hard drive. I could probably do that this afternoon after lunch. I'll get back to you then, if that is ok...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happens if it won't let me do a back up because of the whole password *****?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

we will try to be on the safe mode and then try i can try remote access and will see what password ***** ***** into prompt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll get back to you this afternoon. Thank you!
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

can you make it in the evening your time if that is fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are you? What time zone? We're central...it's nearly 9:15 AM right now
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

its 2:15 Am my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wednesday or Thursday? Oh my goodness. Go home, go to bed! You're either 16 hours ahead of me or 7 hours behind...
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

mine will be wednesday and yours will be thursday

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Its 16 hrs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No matter. I'll see if you're available later this afternoon. Thanks!
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning! I did not have time to speak with you the past two days, we were busy with work. I am wondering if you can still do the factory reset - I tried to do it myself but of course the computer asked for the password ***** no place to put it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased the external hard drive and have transferred all necessary files to it.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi, apologise for the delay in response but there is a 12 hrs plus difference in our time zones

let me know the make and model of your computer and i will list down the steps for a factory reset as well as steps for windows 10 manual upgrade which you can try

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. Thank you for all your help, I was able to do the factory reset myself, and installed Windows 10. The password ***** was resolved . Thank you very much!
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

let me know if you have any questions

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the stars on top right of the page and hit submit. . Thank you.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer