Software

Ask Software Development Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I think that I have a problem with my computer. I am

Customer Question
I think that I have...
I think that I have a problem with my computer. I am enrolled in the regular ITOK service plan. I was on Facebook a few days ago, and there was a picture that you could click and see an epic battle between a lion and a python. I clicked on the picture, and there was a voice that came on the computer saying that I had downloaded a virus, and stating a phone number that I could call for resolution. My wife suggest that calling that phone number may have been part of the scam. However, ever since then, when I click on one of my servers, instead of taking me into my home page (lds.org), it takes me into a site with the web address of a.rfihub.com. When you click the "X" to go out, it ignores you until about the fourth click. What do you think?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Software
1/19/2016
Software technician: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 years ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi Mike, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

You definitely DO NOT to call that number. I assure you that it is a scam and I've seen this issue several times in the past. It sounds like you've gotten some kind of malware on the computer (a browser re-direct and possibly other adware, specifically), which is causing popups and which is forcing you off to pages other than the ones that you requested.

How long has this been going on? Do you remember what exactly you were doing on the computer immediately before the issue started occurring? Did you notice any other strange activity before you got the pop up?

This has been happening for the past two or three days, ever since I clicked on the lion vs python battle from Facebook. I have three servers - explorer, firefox, and google chrome. Each day I click on all three and leave them minimized on my home page. When I click on the three in the morning, one of the three has the pop up. At this point, I couldn't tell you which one it is. The only strange activity noticed is that it brings up the page with the address, a.rfihub.com.

Hi again Mike, sorry for the slow response. I was away from my computer.

Your computer has definitely been infected with something. The interesting thing here is that I have talked to other people who have specifically said that this has happened to them after being on Facebook so it seems like scammers are somehow able to use the site to spread their malware.

Have you at this point done anything to clean the PC?

EDIT

I haven't done anything yet. I have a contract with ITOK for monthly backups and quarterly service. They have sold to another company. I thought that I was contacting ITOK, when I got your site.

Mike, JustAnswer is an independent company that brings Experts together with people who have questions/issues on a variety of subjects (computers in your case, though there are Experts in many other categories here as well).

What I can tell you is that your computer has an infection on it. The difficulty involved with removing the infection can vary, depending on exactly what it is. If you would like, I can write up a cleaning process for you that is likely to work. And if not, we can try some other things.