hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician since 2007
40928634

I'm setting up a load balanced Wordpress site running on

Customer Question

I'm setting up a load balanced Wordpress site running on IIS. I'd like to keep media files on a separate server and have copied the uploads folder there. I was able then to create a virtual directory in IIS to point to the location on the separate server. All the images are displaying correctly via the virtual directory and the URL.
However, when I go to upload a media file, it uploads to the original server-even if I've deleted the directory. In this case, it creates a new one. It appears that it needs to find the physical path. My question is if there is a way to specify the physical path for the upload so it uploads to the directory on the separate server?
Category: Software
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.

Firstly back up your whole Wordpress site using ftp then you can try using this plugin to change the path to uploaded/stored media

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. will this plugin allow me to change the upload path to directory that is not relative to the root?

Yes according to the author you can change the path to whatever you want. But let me know how it goes

​Also if you have pasted the script for UPLOAD in the wp-config. Read the post by NICO in this blog about half way down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using the plugin, I can change the upload path. If I use the UNC path i.e. \\BullseyeRes\uploads, it tried to upload but I'm getting an error saying the upload cannot write to the directory. I'm assuming it's trying to write to the external server, but it's not clear.

Does the external server have 755 permission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are on windows machines. I'm not sure 755 is relevant. Is it?

Yes that's correct but you need to give read/write permission to the Wordpress folders.

Here is some good information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which wordpress folders do you mean? The ones on the primary server or the one that we are trying to upload to? If I modify the upload path to a location on the primary server, it works fine (indicating permissions there are OK) It's only when modifying the upload path to the other server that it can't upload.

The one you're trying to upload to

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Feels like we are getting closer. How do I give the wordpress folders permission here?

Please read this Wordpress blog