Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

My Windows 10 ever since the first update -- The windows

Customer Question

My Windows 10 ever since the first update -- The windows icon in the lower left, and the search box will not reply with a left click. With a right click I get a pop-up but not with any info I need. The only way to get to settings is to right click on the screen and select "Personalize".
Category: Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

As the first step, can you do the following please

Right click it and select command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if you still have the issue please

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sfc/scannow completed with no integrity violations. chkdsk could not run because the volume is in use by another process.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, as per my instructions, so

Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Else let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get back to you after the reboot?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you return to this web page please and post a message with the results.

You can add it to your favourites by pressing CTRL + D

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scan complete. reboot and left click still does not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Do you get an error with left click? Or nothing happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

Type in

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Press enter, make sure no error meaning you typed it in correctly, restart and tell me if it then works please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error 87 -- The Cleanup-Image option is unknown.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

appears you forgot a space.

Before every / there is a space.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Running Now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Completed Successfully
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

restart and tell me if it then works please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reboot complete, same problem
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, please do the below

1. Select the Start button, and then select Settings.

2. Select Accounts > Other users.

3. Under Other users, select Add someone else to this PC.

4. At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.

5. At the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

6. Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password ***** and then select Next.

7. Select Finish.

Then restart the computer, sign in with this new account and tell me if it then works please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes up with me showing and then on it's own it goes to a blank screen for a while and then brings up the screen but the left windows button still does not work with a left click. By the way the only way I can get to Settings is by right clicking the screen and selecting Personalize
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, just to be sure, you signed into this new account, and still it would not work correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A new account never appeared.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

then one was not made.

How far did you get with the instructions?

Or alternativly, is there a lot of programs you have installed that you do not have disks for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why did it immediately go to a blank screen with out giving me a chance to sign in?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Likely due to corruption

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got all the way with the instructions. I don't understand you last question. I am out of time. Let's just forget it and give me my money back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.