GeekGal
GeekGal, Software Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years Experience in IT
76665483

Is it possible to import OneNote sections to my OneDrive

Customer Question

Is it possible to import OneNote sections to my OneDrive Notebook? I have roughly 80 individual Sections in a subfolder on a stick, and I want to upload them to a notebook on my PC that eventually syncs to my One Drive for Business. Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Software
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is***** will be my pleasure to assist you with this. Please give just a moment to review your question.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

The easiest way to accomplish this is going to be to "Share" them with yourself. You can do this with individual notes or you can do it more quickly by sharing an entire notebook. See detailed instructions below.

Share your notes with other people

You can quickly share a single page or share an entire notebook with other people.

Share a single page of a notebook

1. Navigate to the page you want to share, and then tap its page tab on the left to select it.

A thick border appears around the page tab when it's selected.

2. Swipe from the right side of the screen to the left, and then tap the Share charm.

3. Select the share target (for example, Mail).

4. Follow the necessary steps in the target application (for example, enter the recipient’s email address and a title for your message), and tap Share/Send.

NOTE The contents of your page will be shared in the body of your message. Recipients will not receive a link to the page in your notebook, or be able to edit the page in your notebook unless they already have permissions to do so.

Share an entire notebook on OneDrive

1. Go to the OneDrive home page and sign in, if prompted.

2. Tap the check box next to the folder that contains the notebook you want to share.

3. Near the right side of the screen, tap Share. (Make sure you don't accidentally share the entire Documentsfolder on OneDrive.)

4. In the form that appears, tap Get a link.

5. If you want recipients to only view your notes, under View Only, tap Create. If you want recipients to view and change your notes, under the View and Edit heading, tap Create.

6. When the link appears highlighted, copy it, and then paste it into an email message to let others know where they can access your notes.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I just realized that will only share the link. Give me a moment to look at other possibilities please.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

To move a One Note notebook to One Drive, please take th efollowing steps:

1. In OneNote, open the notebook that you want to share on OneDrive.
  2. Choose File > Share.

3. Select a location for your notebook, or choose Add a Place and then sign into your OneDrive account. If you don’t already have one, you can sign up for free.

4. Enter a name for your notebook (if you like, you can keep the name it already has), and then choose Move Notebook.

5. After you see the location in the list, select it.

OneNote moves the notebook from your computer to OneDrive, and confirms the move with the message: “Your notebook is now syncing to the new location.”

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. Ifso, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and the clicking on submit. If this isn't quite what you need or if you need clarification on any of the instructions, please let me know so l can continue to help you or refer you to another expert. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so that I am clear, I had a PC problem last week, a Microsoft agent logged into my computer and had me move 80 or more OneNote sections to a new folder on my desktop. Now I have a folder with all these files on my desktop and don't know how to import them into a NoteBook in OneNote. Does one of your responses above help me accomplish this?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I see. Thank you for that clarification. One moment please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I think I have exactly what you need. I assume that the files are text files? is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Humm. they look like the OneNote logo the the section name beside it. Do you want me to attach one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think each has a .one extension
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, ok let me think for aminute. This may only work for text files. Basically you'd be opening each note and using the "send to one note" option to 'print" to one note. I'm not sure you'll be able to open them with a *.one extension.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I have been doing all afternoon is why I ask. I am opening each one and it goes into an "Open Section" within OneNote, then I have to "move" it to the Notebook I want to file it in. I was hoping I could copy/paste them into the Notebooks default folder and they would miraculously be in the Notebook when I open it.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid that I don't have good news. Just copying them into the folder isn't going to work. I'm going to opt out and open this to other experts int he hopes that one of them can help you. I'm sorry that I was unable to help. Have good evening!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Just a quick note to let you know that another expert has agreed with my conclusions. It may not be the answer that you wanted to hear but it was the correct answer. I would very much appreciate it if you rate my service by clicking on the stars and then on submit. Have a wonderful day!